The things you find - FZ750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The things you find - FZ750

I said on another thread I had an FZ750 motor here to pull down with gearbox problems.
    Here's some of what I found - may interest the two of you with them.

Firstly the box - jumping out of gear and refusing to select 5th. All the selector fork pins which engage the drum were badly worn. Sorry the pic I took wasn't good enough to post. Comparing the box which came out with the good used one going in I noticed a difference around 1st gear on the output shaft. It runs on a bush pressed on the shaft up against a shoulder. The bearing then butts up against the end of the bush. On this one the bush was not fully home. The result of this was an extra .020in of endfloat....not good. the pic shows the two shafts and the difference is visible.This alone would have given selection and jumping problems.

Secondly the head...pulled the valves and to my surprise there's a broken valve guide. The valve is dead straight and shows no signs of ever having seized in the guide. It's obviously been like that for a while as there's a lot of carbon on that valve and the break shows peening where it's been hitting piece on piece. A mystery. Not hard putting in a new guide and cutting the seat to match.
    Last edited by GregT; 05-28-2013, 08:22 PM.

The pic of the broken valve guide.

Comment

Interesting indeed....

Hopefully Spyug sees this, it might be the reason for his issues as well......

I don't even want to think what I am going to be finding.......

Comment

Working...
      X