Helmet advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet advice

At any speed over 100 kph, my helmet feels like it's trying to lift my head off my shoulders. It is also very noisy at highway speeds.Any suggestions for a good comfortable helmet that has downforce rather than liftoff.

Originally posted by OLDENUFF View Post
    At any speed over 100 kph, my helmet feels like it's trying to lift my head off my shoulders. It is also very noisy at highway speeds.Any suggestions for a good comfortable helmet that has downforce rather than liftoff.
    helmet is probably loose; I also found even a 1/4 fairing almost eliminates the problem.

I hope this is not happening on the 1150EF, there should be no issue at 100Kph

For calibration in my experiences substitute kph with mph
    Last edited by posplayr; 05-30-2013, 01:11 PM.

Comment

what type of helmet do you have?
      at 55mph almost any full face should not lift of unless it has wings or giant ducts on it.

I personally have been using SparX s07, it is pretty easy on the wallet, new ones can be had as low as 50 on ebay for current designs about 160. I have compared them visually with my friend's scorpion and arai and quality seems the same. I am already on my second one without any complaints. They also have a crash exchange program, if you crash send them your helmet with police report and tell them how it performed in a crash they will send you a new one free.

Comment

Time for a new helmet that fits properly. Most people buy helmets that are far too loose, and it sounds like this is what happened to you.

Since I don't know the peculiarities of your cranial physiognomy, I can't make a specific recommendation. But these are golden times indeed -- there are lots of excellent helmets out there these days that are also very inexpensive.

Overall, you'll need to buy in person, preferably at a large shop with an experienced helmet fitter on staff. One of my favorite tips is to first remove the cheek pads from a helmet you're considering (most are easily removable these days) then put it on to see how the crown of the helmet fits your head.

More info on finding a helmet that fits.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

i agree with bwringer, never buy a helmet with out trying it on. even trying one on in a shop for size then buying it cheaper on line, they are never quite the same.
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Not sure of the brand. It does say snell approved as well as DOT. It is a little loose which is probably the problem as was stated above. I'll see what I can find in a tighter fit. It is on the 1150. I'm 6'4 and the blast off the fairing hits me right on the chin. At least that's where the bugs carcass ends up after leaving the guts on my windshield. Thanks guys. Bob
            Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2013, 01:53 PM.

Comment

It should be way too tight at first, they conform to your head over time by getting looser to fit. If it isn't tight enough to begin with, (too tight)it will never fit correctly.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Duck lower and ride faster.......hehehehehe

Comment

If you like full-faced, I'm very happy with my Bell Arrow. Cost is something like $100. Very well made for the price, good reviews, and not much wind noise at speed. (Except for a little whistle when I turn my head.)
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I've got Daytona Cruiser 3/4. I love it.

Edit: and there is no lift.

Comment

Originally posted by OLDENUFF View Post
                      Shoei RF1100. Rock steady at 160 pricey but super comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                        Shoei RF1100. Rock steady at 160 pricey but super comfortable.

I'll second the Shoei. I have that same helmet in a solid color, grey . Love it, Had the RF1000 before this. They are alittle pricey but in my book "My squash is worth the extra'. It all depends on how much you value your head. I also have an Icon 'Domain2' which I like very well , also a little pricey though. I wont buy an HJC because the padding don't seem to hold up. I have had a few in years past. Not impressed with the longevity of them . My next purchase is going to be either an Arai, or a Suomy helmet.
                        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I went from a HJC to a Shoei and the Shoei has noticeably less wind noise. I think the HJC could have been improved by adjusting the visor so it fit tighter to the seals. Also some tape may have helped too.

Comment

Buy a helmet based on fit first, brand second.

Shoei and HJC helmets, for example, don't fit me (Nor do Scorpion, Bell, Nolan, AGV, etc. and so on). HJC drastically changed the internal shape of all their helmets after the AC-12.

I have two AC-12 helmets I'm trying to nurse another year or two out of, and I'm really worried I'll have to shell out the long green for an Arai eventually. Arai is the only helmet maker so far to offer different internal shapes, but I'm hoping one of the more reasonably priced brands will pick up the ball here soon. (I have an AFX dual-sport helmet that's quite nice, actually.)

Sadly, most of the helmet makers have converged on a much rounder head shape that doesn't work at all for my freakish melon. Apparently all these brains have pushed out my skull and given me a bulbous dolphin-like forehead.

If you're lucky enough to have a more standard head, the world's your oyster...
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Not to concerned about the price. Guess I'l take my head over to the motorcycle shop and try a few on. Thanks for the input. Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X