Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meet the new Beemer, same as the old Beemer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meet the new Beemer, same as the old Beemer!

Well not exactly...After my off road excursion explained here, and my '95 being totaled, I found this '96 at a small shop in Iowa.
    Much cleaner than my '95 ever was and only 21K miles. New battery, new tires, just serviced by BMW. Rode it the 200 miles home yesterday and am very happy.
    I have some project work on this. I hate the seat and need to swap it with my other one. It has some bar risers that have to go. No heated grips, so I will be using the ones off my totaled bike, along with several other small niceties.

Of course the garage is a little crowded for now.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Nice, somehow I missed the crash report. Glad you two made it without serious injuries. That's a pretty sweet find.

Comment

Very cool Bob! I'm glad this all worked out as well as it did. Crappy way to get a new bike......
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

The damage to your other bike did not look that bad, mostly cosmetic. Was it really totaled or just totaled for insurance purposes?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
          Very cool Bob! I'm glad this all worked out as well as it did. Crappy way to get a new bike......
          That's true Joe...oh well. But I am glad I invest that $56.00 a year for full coverage.

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
          The damage to your other bike did not look that bad, mostly cosmetic. Is it really totaled or just totaled for insurance purposes?
          Over $5K estimated repair cost. Of course that is new BMW parts and labor.

I could probably fix it for $1500 with used parts and my labor, but that's not how insurance works.
          I could fix it and apply for a rebuilt title, but it's a pain in IL and kills the resale value.
          Better to take the parts I want and part out the rest.

Comment

Is ANYBODY surprised that it is red?
            Nice wheels, Bob.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Congrats on the new bike! Wish you many safe happy miles on it.

Comment

Congratulations Bob,
                sigpic
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                  Is ANYBODY surprised that it is red?
                  Nice wheels, Bob.
                  Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                  Congrats on the new bike! Wish you many safe happy miles on it.
                  Thanks guys...
                  Well, got started today. Removed the bar risers and things are back to normal in the handlebar department.
                  Took the seat off both bikes...discovered that the shop that replaced the battery put the hold down in backwards...not a big deal, but jeez...
                  Just moved my new Odyssey battery from bike 1 to bike 2, since it is far better than the one the shop put in.

This is going to be a fun project....what parts to move, what parts to save, what parts to sell...

Comment

Rock and Roll!

"Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Looks like a Corbin seat on the new bike.I bought a used one for the 06 SV I had before I became a vintage junkie. It takes time to break them in to your butt,I'm not sure they ever quite lose the OP's shape though.My advice is give it some time unless you just HATE it.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2013, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Nice bike. Let's keep this one right side up a little longer, OK? And please let the girl off before you dump it!

Here's a thought. Put the old one together safely and cheaply, give it to someone who really needs a bike and can't afford it. The one I flipped in Ireland is still going strong, hauling a GSR member with a Kayak all around Portugal.

Before:

After:

Or maybe raffle it off and donate the money to the GSR or something.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                          Looks like a Corbin seat on the new bike.I bought a used one for the 06 SV I had before I became a vintage junkie. It takes time to break them in to your butt,I'm not sure they ever quite lose the OP's shape though.My advice is give it some time unless you just HATE it.
                          The seat from bike #1 is also a Corbin...same design, just firmer and not so garish...

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                            The seat from bike #1 is also a Corbin...same design, just firmer and not so garish...
                            OK missed that,carry on

Comment

Very nice motorcycle. We're going to have to meet up on the Highway sometime...
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                              X