Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

big crash at IOM TT race today.

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Damn... Hope all the "motorbikes are too dangerous" crowd doesn't get too much from this....
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

well, having people and motorcycle going 140 mph in close proximity, with no safety barriers, I'm surprised that this isn't a regular occurrence

Hope they all heal up okay
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

i haven't seen it yet, its on TV over here later tonight. apparantly the rider,Jonathon Howarth is in hospital but nothing serious, one spectator is badly hurt but not serious and the others are minor injuries.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

It's always a worry for us on street circuits here in NZ. There are forces of darkness just waiting for the chance to shut down the five street circuits we still have left.

Comment

As far as I know of the 11 injured only 1 is still in hospital the rest were released later in the day or the next morning,which is a relief.The person kept in had "serious but not life threatening" injuries.Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              well, having people and motorcycle going 140 mph in close proximity, with no safety barriers, I'm surprised that this isn't a regular occurrence

Hope they all heal up okay
              I think they broke 140 back in the 1940s Bro.
              And yes they do have a great deal of safety barriers, and procedures.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                I think they broke 140 back in the 1940s Bro.
                And yes they do have a great deal of safety barriers, and procedures.
                Just a question but with all the safety procedures in place how many riders lose their lives per year on average.

Comment

Originally posted by amxsteve View Post
                  Just a question but with all the safety procedures in place how many riders lose their lives per year on average.
                  7 killed in 2000. 11 dead in 1993. Over 200 in total. Very cool race but it is not safe.

Comment

The only place I'd be spectating from is a rooftop !! those peeps are insane

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                      Damn... Hope all the "motorbikes are too dangerous" crowd doesn't get too much from this....
                      Looks like we got a couple right here…sigh…
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                        Looks like we got a couple right here…sigh…
                        I have no problem with this event and plan on going myself as early as next year. I believe the riders and spectators understand what could happen so let the show go on. I drag race for the thrill as I feel it's the safest fun I can have IMHO all road racers are a little off kilter but if I had the balls would do it myself.

Comment

And now a small rant from a road race fan

Okay,my turn.I went to watch my first race when I was 3 years old,the circuit was about 10 minutes walk from my house and the sound and smells of those bikes are with me to this day 39 years later.Now my daughter is in her 2nd year of coming along with me and she is 4 now,everyone who spectates at these events knows the unwritten rules so I'm going to share them with you:-

RULE 1: NEVER,EVER stand on the outside of the exit of a corner,It doesn't matter if you are an olympic sprinter you will NOT outrun a crashing bike/debris

RULE 2:If you want to take photos-and most of us do,ALWAYS,ALWAYS block off the flash with duck tape even if you don't have the flash turned on.

RULE 3:Put all your empty potato chip bags,food wrappers,soda/beer tins,food wrappers back into the holdall you brought the stuff in A:because that potato chip bag that you let fly about might get stuck over a radiator causing the bike to overheat and sieze and the rider to crash B:The sport survives because of the good will of farmers who let people watch from their fields,so if the fields are covered in garbage that will get stuck in their livestocks stomachs killing them/destroying their crops they aren't going to let anyone onto their land again are they??????

RULE 4:When told to move from where you are watching by the official marshals,MOVE YOUR ASS AND DON'T BITCH!!!the marshals are there for a reason and are 30 year+ veterans they know more than you.Sadly the reason for this rule was illustrated perfectly at the first running of the Armoy road races when a local farmer was watching from a restricted area(cos it was on the outside of a corner after a jump:see above) was killed even though he was asked 4 TIMES to move-his reason was "it's my f***ing land and I'll stand where I like".'nuff said

There,that all makes sense doesn't it.These rules have been passed down since racing started here-about the time Al Capone and the G men were at war with each other so it's been a while.Believe me there is Nothing as a non racer you can experience like 6 men all going for a 10 foot wide piece of ordinary road at over 120mph.If you use the grey mush between your ears and select your place carefully you are as safe as it's possible to be nowadays.One final thing:-there are more cyclists killed/injured every month than spectators at road races over 5 years,just a thought.Johnny

Comment

[QUOTE=Johnny Drummond;1879880]Okay,my turn.I went to watch my first race when I was 3 years old,the circuit was about 10 minutes walk from my house and the sound and smells of those bikes are with me to this day 39 years later.Now my daughter is in her 2nd year of coming along with me and she is 4 now,everyone who spectates at these events knows the unwritten rules so I'm going to share them with you:-

RULE 1: NEVER,EVER stand on the outside of the exit of a corner,It doesn't matter if you are an olympic sprinter you will NOT outrun a crashing bike/debris

RULE 2:If you want to take photos-and most of us do,ALWAYS,ALWAYS block off the flash with duck tape even if you don't have the flash turned on.

RULE 3:Put all your empty potato chip bags,food wrappers,soda/beer tins,food wrappers back into the holdall you brought the stuff in A:because that potato chip bag that you let fly about might get stuck over a radiator causing the bike to overheat and sieze and the rider to crash B:The sport survives because of the good will of farmers who let people watch from their fields,so if the fields are covered in garbage that will get stuck in their livestocks stomachs killing them/destroying their crops they aren't going to let anyone onto their land again are they??????

RULE 4:When told to move from where you are watching by the official marshals,MOVE YOUR ASS AND DON'T BITCH!!!the marshals are there for a reason and are 30 year+ veterans they know more than you.Sadly the reason for this rule was illustrated perfectly at the first running of the Armoy road races when a local farmer was watching from a restricted area(cos it was on the outside of a corner after a jump:see above) was killed even though he was asked 4 TIMES to move-his reason was "it's my f***ing land and I'll stand where I like".'nuff said

There,that all makes sense doesn't it.These rules have been passed down since racing started here-about the time Al Capone and the G men were at war with each other so it's been a while.Believe me there is Nothing as a non racer you can experience like 6 men all going for a 10 foot wide piece of ordinary road at over 120mph.If you use the grey mush between your ears and select your place carefully you are as safe as it's possible to be nowadays.One final thing:-there are more cyclists killed/injured every month than spectators at road races over 5 years,just a thought.Johnny[/QUOTE
                            I fully agree only problem is you can't fix stupid!

Comment

All sound principles johnny. When we lay out the spectator viewing areas on a street circuit here we're pretty careful to restrict access to only safe areas.
                              Your story about the landowner rang a bell. At Wyndham street circuit - part of the Burt Munro challenge - the local Lions club who help with the setting up (a service club like Rotary) have persisted in parking a flat deck truck on the outside of turn one. It's a viewing platform for their members and they see it as a perk of helping out...oh the arguments about that.
                              i understand it's finally moving but it took threats of calling the meeting off to do it.
                              The year I was the clerk of the course there, they locked it and the guy with the key "couldn't be found"....idiots.

Comment

Working...
                              X