Title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Title?

I have a 1977 Suzuki Gs550E. it has no title and I was wondering if anyone one here has gotten a title for a bike without one and could help me in the right direction, thanks!

I have, in Colorado it's not too hard. I don't know anything about WI but I think it's one of the harder states...

Good luck.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Your local DMV should be able to help you.From what I've read here the states are all over the map on this,from impossible to easy.

Comment

alright I wasn't sure about Wisconsin's steps to get a title. I herd that I just need to get the VIN checked by the police to make sure it isn't stolen and I need a bill of sale. but that is just stuff ive herd and wasn't sure if it was true or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota91 View Post
          alright I wasn't sure about Wisconsin's steps to get a title. I herd that I just need to get the VIN checked by the police to make sure it isn't stolen and I need a bill of sale. but that is just stuff ive herd and wasn't sure if it was true or not.
          That's how it works in NH. We get a form from the DMV for the coppers to fill out. You can bring the bike to them at the station or one time they even were nice enough to send an officer to my house and do it. We don't have titles for bikes older than 10 years.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

alright, I know most of the cops in my town, I live a decently small town (3000ish people) im sure I can convince one to help me out.

Comment

Heres the deal. It varies slightly from state to state but these are the three basic roads. Your at a fork with three roads...

1) No vehicle ownership history, not stolen - You just hit the jackpot. You will need a declaratory judgement from the local court. Pretty much a slam dunk.

2) Previous owner found - If its the guy who sold it to you thats lucky you can go through him. If not most states have many fees and hoops to jump through. They include trying to find the last known owner because until they either cannot be found or sign off your purchase is 100% null and void as the guy you got it from has 0 legal right to sell it. The last known owner can and may get the bike from you, it's his. Check state laws for this stuff.

3) The bike comes back stolen - You have a problem because you never should have bought it without having it checked.

DO NOT:

File as abandoned, because it isn't. Unless the DMV files it this way FOR you.

Attempt to use a tow company or mechanics lien to obtain title rights. The illegality of this is staggering.

Comment

Originally posted by ThrottleBack View Post

DO NOT:
                Attempt to use a tow company or mechanics lien to obtain title rights. The illegality of this is staggering.
                Missouri is probably one of the hardest states to register a vehicle without a title. Selling without a title is considered a invalid sale, since the seller wasn't the legal owner. I was told years ago by the DMV, that this is the only way to get a title, besides a legit sale. I've only seen it happen once, and that person had to have a lawyer and appear in front of a judge.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                  Missouri is probably one of the hardest states to register a vehicle without a title. Selling without a title is considered a invalid sale, since the seller wasn't the legal owner. I was told years ago by the DMV, that this is the only way to get a title, besides a legit sale. I've only seen it happen once, and that person had to have a lawyer and appear in front of a judge.
                  Whoever told you that is an idiot. I have easily obtained 7 titles now, 5 here in MO. My newest came in the mail yesterday. No legal infractions, no attorneys. Never spent more then the title costs.

Comment

There is a thread on the Advrider forum about getting one for an older bike in Vermont. It took < 2 weeks to do this for my GSX-G. I think it cost about $80.

Comment

Whoever told you that is an idiot. I have easily obtained 7 titles now, 5 here in MO. My newest came in the mail yesterday. No legal infractions, no attorneys. Never spent more then the title costs.
                      Good for you. But hey, instead of calling people idiots, why not explain the process you went through for those of us less enlightened than you? I'd really like to know how to get a title for a bike without a title in Mo, because Craigslist is loaded with them.

Comment

I called that person an idiot because they are. My first post explains the processes. Most recently I used #1, but have used those also explained in #2 as they are the only legal means.

Comment

1) No vehicle ownership history, not stolen - You just hit the jackpot. You will need a declaratory judgement from the local court. Pretty much a slam dunk.

2) Previous owner found - If its the guy who sold it to you thats lucky you can go through him. If not most states have many fees and hoops to jump through. They include trying to find the last known owner because until they either cannot be found or sign off your purchase is 100% null and void as the guy you got it from has 0 legal right to sell it. The last known owner can and may get the bike from you, it's his. Check state laws for this stuff.
                          1) Very few street bikes have no ownership history. Maybe dirt bikes, because the original owner wanted to avoid sales and personal property taxes. But street bikes would have to be registered by the original owner to obtain license plates.

2) If you're dealing with the previous owner, that means there is, or was, a title in his name. That makes it easy. Either a simple title transfer or filing for a lost title.

A simple title transfer in Mo costs $50 max, plus taxes. A little more for a lost title, which has to be applied for by the seller, not the buyer. I'd like to know how you got a title, in Mo, for a bike you bought without one, for that amount.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                            1) Very few street bikes have no ownership history. Maybe dirt bikes, because the original owner wanted to avoid sales and personal property taxes. But street bikes would have to be registered by the original owner to obtain license plates.

2) If you're dealing with the previous owner, that means there is, or was, a title in his name. That makes it easy. Either a simple title transfer or filing for a lost title.

A simple title transfer in Mo costs $50 max, plus taxes. A little more for a lost title, which has to be applied for by the seller, not the buyer. I'd like to know how you got a title, in Mo, for a bike you bought without one, for that amount.
                            Are you talking about the 37 mile bike he bought that had never been registered by the previous owner. The bike that had been serviced twice a year for 30 years even though it was never ridden or registered...hmmm. That he has now sold...

Comment

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. I hadn't noticed Throttleback was from Mo, or read his earlier posts. Didn't know about the 37 mile bike. I'm not saying it can't be done in Mo, but I know it ain't that easy. If it was, I'd have a barnful of dirt-cheap bikes.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2013, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X