Thoughts on the KZ1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on the KZ1100

I have my Sabre up for sale, and it will go either intact or in pieces. Either way, I should have enough for another Shopper bargain bike. Yes, I'm one of those that buys a $500 bike and pours $1,000 into it.

I've been doing my shopping thing for a GS1100G/GK or another GSX-G, but they are few and far between for some reason. I decided to branch out again.

There's a KZ1100 on eBay here in FL about 4 hours away. It does not run but has a FL title. It started at $1100, then $1,000, then $900, now it's $800 with no reserve. It's a 2 owner bike and looks great. It has the Vetter package I like. From what I can tell it is likely an ignition problem. I'm thinking it can likely be had really cheap based on the lack of a sale or even one bid.

The bikes seem very similar from the motor layout and operation, and the KZ is of course much more similar to the GS than the Sabre was. I know the GS has the superior shaft layout, but thought I'd get some input here good or bad. I'll link the current auction and insert a pic.

eBay auction as of 6-15-13

I say go for it. You won't loose any money on it. Easy to work on. Parts everywhere. Plus it's a cool bike.
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Wow! Such a deal, especially if you compare it to the prices of the ELR's! 97,000 miles is quite high but at that price and the fact that it appears to be well taken care of makes it look not too bad. Needs a little detailing, around the engine in particular, but the paint looks good and all of that Vedder stuff! If the engine can be fixed easily I can attest that the 1100 is a bulletproof and strong motor. In 82 Kawasaki was nearing the end of the run of the 8 valve air cooled engines and it is always nicer to have an engine towards the end of the series run. That is as good as those engines get! Valve adjustments are tougher though as Kawi used the shim under bucket method. That means the cams have to be removed to check the valves.

If that bike was in my town, I'd pick it up for sure!
      IBA# 12860
      Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
      1984 KZ1100R
      2008 Kawasaki KLR650
      2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

You seem to be loosing focus on your other projects, what's going on with your other two bikes? Have you given up on them or just taking a break?

Comment

LOL that happens all of the time here, you should see my 280Z.

I'm still trying to find an affordable head gasket for the GS1000 or deciding if some Hylomar on the existing one will work (it's free), and trying to figure out why I can't get a uniform trigger signal from my new trigger wheels. It is likely the pickup wiring where I soldered it.

The GSX-G needs to have the engine pulled and partially disassembled. I like to have two "spare" bikes to use while the repairs are under way, and will be down to one when the Sabre goes. If the KZ just needs something like an ignitor, that's an easy and not too bad $ fix. Plus as noted above, it likely could be "flipped" for a few $. I'm sure @ $800 it could be parted for a profit.

Comment

The under bucket shims were used on the KZ650's. The 900/1000/ 1100 has the same style as the GS, the only difference is .5mm in diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by will61310 View Post
                The under bucket shims were used on the KZ650's. The 900/1000/ 1100 has the same style as the GS, the only difference is .5mm in diameter.
                You are absolutely right! I've owned several Kawi's over the years and they've all been SUB engines, I just assumed they were all that way. In 83 Kawi went to the shim under bucket on the 1100's. This makes the 82 even more attractive, easy servicing is always a plus!
                IBA# 12860
                Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                1984 KZ1100R
                2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                2011 Concours 1400

Comment

This bike is a J model motor and is the better one of the KZ models and it is only 40 miles away from me. To bad it's a Kawasuckie 97,000 is a bunch of miles
                  My stable
                  84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                  85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                  88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                  98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                  90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                  06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                  00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

97,000 miles is a deal breaker.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I think Ed's right.
                      97K miles, wow.......... it's definitely been around the block a few times.
                      I'd feel better about it if it ran at all, but I wouldn't be too upset if it got away from me.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

That appears to be the consensus, not one bid. As the saying goes, "If I was closer" it would be an easy thing to hook up the bike trailer & make a cash offer.

Looks like I'll be parting out the Sabre, so I'll eventually end up with more $ to spend on a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          97,000 miles is a deal breaker.
                          It wouldn't be on a Suzuki, not at that price, and especilly a big shafty that has seen touring use, it's likely all highway miles.

Mine has 98,000 miles and runs like a swiss watch.

Did the Kawasakis wear out quicker?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I think other points in its favor are the facts it is stock and only on the second owner.

Comment

I would go take a look. Might not offer much, but I'd look.
                              But what in the world do you want with another old shafty liter bike project?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X