Sport Tourers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sport Tourers

One of these days I'd like to buy a newer bike and decided some time ago that it would be of the Sport Tourer variety. I think this will cover what I want in luggage for commuting/traveling and, from what I read, a fun bike to take on the twisties. Although I'm not intent on going to a liter bike (little scared of that idea right now), I found that I really like the Yamaha FJR1300's design and it did fit me when I sat on one some months back. However today I found a picture of the Triumph Trophy and am thinking that's a good challenger to the FJR and makes me wish I had the money to go test drive them.

I don't understand why the BMW R1200RT, Triumph Trophy, Yamaha FJR, Honda ST, and Kawasaki Concourse all look like the exact same body. They obviously have different engines and some have a different height than others (I can't sit on the Concourse and the ST didn't feel right) but they all look the same. It makes it more difficult to decide which would be the better of them. For those with the newer bikes, what things led you to decide to buy the one you have?

I'll also say this, I wish Suzuki would put something into the mix. I know many of you like the Bandit but I'm just not sure that look appeals to me. Course I might be wrong I guess.
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

FJR........I have over 50K miles on my '04 and it is a fantastic bike!
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

They are all fantastic bikes, some are more fantastic than others, or fantastic in different ways. Although they all look similar, they are as different as cats and eggs. I loved the BMW, the honda a well ho humm, it's OK I guess, couldn't sell the concourse fast enough,
      the FJR was great. Different people like different things. For me all of them could benefit from being a whole lot smaller and lighter, other people like bigger engines.

Ride them all and get what you liked the best.

Scott, I'm selling the gray BMW if you're interested in doing a fly and ride.
      Last edited by tkent02; 06-16-2013, 01:29 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have a 2011 Kawasaki Concours, Basically it has a ZX14 engine that has variable valve timing. It has more grunt low down and in the mid range because of this. 161hp isn't bad either! Couple that with ABS brakes and Traction Control and you have a bike that is quite friendly to ride. The saddlebags are HUGE. You can easily put a full face helmet in them. There are tons of aftermarket stuff available for them as well. If you're looking for bang for the buck, it is a good choice.

It can take you to adventurous places!

And it loves the open road!
        IBA# 12860
        Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
        1984 KZ1100R
        2008 Kawasaki KLR650
        2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Originally posted by eddie21 View Post

And it loves the open road!
          That road is straight. What is the point?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            That road is straight. What is the point?
            The point is that at the end of that straight road I wound up on Hwy36! The idea of showing a shot like that was to give the idea of distance, these bikes are meant to go a long way and they still have a fun factor when the road does get twisty.
            IBA# 12860
            Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
            1984 KZ1100R
            2008 Kawasaki KLR650
            2011 Concours 1400

Comment

I'm thinking pretty seriously about a GSF1250 next year. Cheaper to get than the C14, FJR etc., and less to replace if I tip it over. The only downside is the chain drive.

I expect to change my mind a few more times though. I'll be watching this thread.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks guys. I can say the Concourse is out strictly because of my size and how it felt underneath me when I sat on it at the local dealer.

My only problem with any of these bikes is getting the chance to ride them to see what I want. I spoke to the dealership and unless I have money in hand or approved financing a test ride won't happen. Since my credit history immediately surrounding my foreclosure isn't great (it has improved somewhat), I don't see anyone financing a new bike for me just yet. I'll get there though.

What makes your FJR so good Joe?
                sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Here ya go, in Paducah, KY. I have given this one more than a passing glance myself. It is dark Blue.

2005 Yamaha FJR 1300 AT. Very sharp bike and runs great. Has removable/lockable hard saddle bags and removable/ lockable trunk. Windshield is electric and will go up like a cruiser or down like a crotch rocket. Anti lock breaks. Bike has approx 26,000 miles and has a few scratches on one side where previous owner set it down in driveway( not bad at all). Tires are approx 50%. Clear title in hand, 5k
                  sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                  2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

VFR 750 would be a good choice. A little smaller and lighter. Find a low mileage older model and save a ton of cash. Uber durable engines on those. I had a first generation VFR and the engine was amazing. Suspension not so much. By the 2nd generation all was good though. 3 generation is my favorite.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've got a low mile, '95 BMW K1100RS I'll sell really cheap....

Needs a little work though...

Last edited by Baatfam; 06-16-2013, 09:05 AM.
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Tempting offer Bob.

What made you decide on the BMW over any of the others?
                        sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          What made you decide on the BMW over any of the others?
                          Reputation, looks and price, mostly.
                          I was looking for something better than my 1100E for two up, long distance travel, with hard bags.
                          I looked at the options, read reviews on many different possibilities, figured out how much I could afford.
                          The FJR was too expensive, the Bandits didn't seem good for passenger comfort, Connies are heavy...that didn't leave much.

Anyway, the K11RS was very similar in weight and horsepower to the 1100E, was known to be very passenger friendly, decent handling, had good forum support, fairly easy to work on, parts are available...
                          And I like the way it looks...

Cherry ones were still out of my price range at the time...$4-5K...
                          But I saw one on eBay that seemed to be in fair condition and threw a low bid at it....and won. Got for $2800 if I remember.

Still ended up putting more into than if I had just bought a nice one, but you know how that goes...

Turns out, the K11RS worked so well for Amy and me, that when ours was totaled, I got another. It still meets all our needs and is reasonably priced.

One last thing, insurance is cheap for this bike. I pay $58 a year for full coverage....my Triumph is over 3 times that amount and it is worth less.

Comment

One other suggestion is to ride the bikes. When I first sat on the FJR it seemed mighty big. But once on the road it sheds about a hundred pounds. It handles much better than a bike this heavy should.
                            IBA# 24077
                            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                              One other suggestion is to ride the bikes. When I first sat on the FJR it seemed mighty big. But once on the road it sheds about a hundred pounds. It handles much better than a bike this heavy should.
                              Having followed Joe through many a twisty, I can say this is very true.

Comment

Working...
                              X