AHRMA Vintage Superbike Heavyweight race at Road America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Heavyweight race at Road America

On board the mighty Katana!! 4 wins but 1 disqualified down to a 3rd for rolling 6 inches on the start. Dang! (Road America & Grattan Raceway)
    sigpic

Very cool.
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Very fast
      What's the specification of your Katana?
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

My wife and I were there. See below pic of the racing Kat and my Kat. My wife Cathy is in the background:

Here's a link to the thread including pics......

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

specs

The specs are 998 cc High Comp. pistons, 1150 cams, 29mm CR Keihins (class limit), head port, stock valves, although I can go up one more piston size as our limit is 1025cc for Vintage Superbike Heavyweight. That sure is a beautiful spoked wheel Kat that showed up at Road America!
          sigpic

Comment

Congrats, Joe.
            4 guys get you off the line and you pull 3 of them before the first turn. Boy that Kat is making big power.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Talk about a one bike race..NICE. You do the GSR proud!
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Nice to see a GS on the track. What were the other guys on that got passed so quickly?
                Is that an old school series 7 yosh on there?
                It looked super smooth no drama, but was the clutch slipping at all?

I get to take mine out on the track in 3 days, getting excited. Thanks for sharing.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by joesigns View Post
                  The specs are 998 cc High Comp. pistons, 1150 cams, 29mm CR Keihins (class limit), head port, stock valves, although I can go up one more piston size as our limit is 1025cc for Vintage Superbike Heavyweight. That sure is a beautiful spoked wheel Kat that showed up at Road America!
                  Are you using a Bandit front fork with 17" wheels?
                  It's forbidden here to use 17" wheels for classic racing...
                  Here's a Katana ( not mine) that I saw on a french track.
                  The fork and wheels come from a first gen GSXR 1100.
                  sigpicJohn Kat
                  My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                  GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                    Are you using a Bandit front fork with 17" wheels?
                    It's forbidden here to use 17" wheels for classic racing...
                    Here's a Katana ( not mine) that I saw on a french track.
                    The fork and wheels come from a first gen GSXR 1100.
                    Just some of the differences between Euro post classic racing and the rest of the world John...eg,the Lockheed calipers would be legal anywhere but the discs wouldn't be legal in NZ or Australia.
                    Basically when this racing got started there were no 18 inch tyres on the market suitable for the job so making 17's legal was logical. In reality there's still only Avons suitable in 18 inch - and on this side of the world they're unbelievably expensive....
                    Joe - your bike is pretty mildly tuned by "down under" standards. it's obviously well set up - and well ridden too.

Comment

joe you going to be at mid ohio for vintage days?

btw that is just plain awesome!!! i want to turn my '79 1000 into one of these

Comment

Mid Ohio is not in the stars... although I may be going to Phillip Island for the Vintage Classic in January.
                        sigpic

Comment

If you make it to Philip Island Joe you'll have a ball.

Be warned though - there's a trap for Suzuki runners there. The loooong lefts onto the start/finish straight combined with the tap placement can frequently lead to fuel starvation and a holed piston - usually #4.
                          A high flow Pingel and using the two outer fittings on the CR's usually fixes it. Two taps for Methanol.....

A Kiwi GSX1100 i had a bit to do with qualified very well last year then had this happen - the locals all said, seen that before.....

Comment

Joe, I tried calling you back but got no answer, I have parts for you. !!! Ray.

Comment

tried calling you back! call me tomorrow at the shop 503-232-7259 or
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X