Handlebar risers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebar risers

I've baught 2 1200 S bandits, a "99" & an "05". The "99" is very comfortable, the "05" is much more laid down, like a crotch rocket. How much can I expect to be able to move the bars on the "05", & still keep the original hoses, cables, & wires? I'm thinking 1" higher & 1" back would be a whole lot better, but am I asking too much out of my original hoses & cables? Is there a rule of thumb to go by, or is it just trial & error thing?? Thanks, Rick P.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

easiest way to find out is take off the handlebar clamps and lift the bars 1" up and back.
    if you can do this without any strain on any of the cables and still have some slack in everything then its going to be pretty darn close.

if anything i would say the front brake hose would give you a problem.......but maybe not.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      I've baught 2 1200 S bandits, a "99" & an "05". The "99" is very comfortable, the "05" is much more laid down, like a crotch rocket. How much can I expect to be able to move the bars on the "05", & still keep the original hoses, cables, & wires? I'm thinking 1" higher & 1" back would be a whole lot better, but am I asking too much out of my original hoses & cables? Is there a rule of thumb to go by, or is it just trial & error thing?? Thanks, Rick P.
      The 03 to 05 B12s are exactly the same. I changed my bars to a set of Grand Prix which have 1" more height than stock and 1" more pull back than stock. At one point, I also had a set of setback bar risers under those that raised the bars a additional inch and set them back a additional inch. (I have since removed the setback risers because it made the bars too high and too rearward) Anyway, The stock cables will work just fine and the stock clutch hydraulic hose will reach just fine. The front brake hose from the master cylinder will be short. There is a junction block for that brake hose mounted on the bottom of the steering stem. Unbolt the junction from the stem, (NOT the brake line) make a flat hanger about 3" long (I used a piece of 3/32" x 3/4" x 3" steel strap. Drill a (I believe) 1/4" hole in each end and screw one end to the underside of the steering stem into the original mount hole for the junction block and mount the bloc on the other end of the strap. You can bend the strap upward to get another three inches of length which allows you to relocate the stock bars higher and rearward and keep the stock hose length.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        The 03 to 05 B12s are exactly the same. I changed my bars to a set of Grand Prix which have 1" more height than stock and 1" more pull back than stock. At one point, I also had a set of setback bar risers under those that raised the bars a additional inch and set them back a additional inch. (I have since removed the setback risers because it made the bars too high and too rearward) Anyway, The stock cables will work just fine and the stock clutch hydraulic hose will reach just fine. The front brake hose from the master cylinder will be short. There is a junction block for that brake hose mounted on the bottom of the steering stem. Unbolt the junction from the stem, (NOT the brake line) make a flat hanger about 3" long (I used a piece of 3/32" x 3/4" x 3" steel strap. Drill a (I believe) 1/4" hole in each end and screw one end to the underside of the steering stem into the original mount hole for the junction block and mount the bloc on the other end of the strap. You can bend the strap upward to get another three inches of length which allows you to relocate the stock bars higher and rearward and keep the stock hose length.
        Clever. Before I totaled my bandit, I was pondering alternatives like that.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Thanks, just the imfo I was looking for, but I've ordered a set of 1" risers, so guess I'll try to see if the brake hose may reach, & how comfortable they will be. Seems I may need the 1' back also. Now I know the fix, If 1" up isn't enough, will try 1" up & 1" back. Thanks
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

who makes the grad prix bars?

Comment

Originally posted by doug g View Post
              who makes the grad prix bars?
              You can find them at Cycle-recycle II http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
              On the menu on the left, click "controls", then click on handlebars.
              The GP Touring bars are about halfway down the list.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Hey Earl, the 1" rise wasn't enough. About half way down the page I see GP Cafe Bars, 4.2" rise & 4.2" pullback. Are these them, you called them GP Touring. Just being sure. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X