Need informed opinions on CL350 Scrambler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need informed opinions on CL350 Scrambler

Got a guy that has a 350 scrambler for sale and mentioned it to me. 72 model year I think it is.

It needs a tank, turn signals are broke ( stems from being dumped, probabkly all new throttle and brake cables.

I am thinking about 350 or so in parts based on my Ebay searches.

The question is this..with it all mechanically sound and a nice ( but inexpensive) paint job, what can I expect for resale value? Are they very desireable these days? I can probably get for a song and dance!!
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Not sure on prices, but CL is going to be a fair bit lower value than a similar CB bike.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Not sure on prices, but CL is going to be a fair bit lower value than a similar CB bike.
      Why is that, Ed? Granted, the CB sold more, but isn't it the same engine/frame, etc.? Or did they change the cams/jetting to suit the upswept pipes?

Comment

I haven't even personally seen the bike. I got the jest from the owners description though..cruddy and in about the same shape as the KZ I am working on for Frank Z.

Heck I don't even know if the heart is frozen or not! Any major issues as far as the engines go??
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If the CL pipes are in good condition, they sell for a couple hundred $ alone. Because of people making cafe bikes out of them, older Hondas have increased in value.

The motor went thru only about one change thru the years to change the camshaft and oil pump. As long as they get routine oil and "filter" changes, they tend to run forever. Valves are easy to adjust, more so than a GS in my opinion.

Comment

I am thinking I will have maybe 500 or so into it..less a cheapy paint job. So can I maybe double the investment at least? Im not interested in being hung with it forever.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              Why is that, Ed? Granted, the CB sold more, but isn't it the same engine/frame, etc.? Or did they change the cams/jetting to suit the upswept pipes?
              Not that many people into the scrambler look. CB outsold CL back in the day, and popularity today is same.

BTW, my first bike was a CL360. Decent enough bike, but the GS400 made it seem stone age in comparison.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Because I have one, I track them on Ebay all the time. The average selling price is around $1800.

That is CBs and CLs. I haven't noticed much of a difference in selling price.

A few nice, low mileage originals have sold in the $3500-$4500 range.

These bikes really seem to bring a premium price in the early spring.

Comment

Next question...if it needs pipes too then what about doing a café or go with make it as close to original as possible?

Pipes on Ebay seem pretty expensive..which of course drive down profit margin. I am not well versed on flipping, as some seem to think I flip a lot of bikes which isn't true, so that's why all these questions.

I think finding the bikes that are considered somewhat desire able and then fixing them to make a few bucks, and enjoy the working on them aspect, is appealing to me.

Café or try to keep it original???

Comment

Isn't the Honda 350 popular in racing circles? Classic racing or something like that? I wonder if it would be better to part it out to aficionados rather than spending time/money on repairing it. IDK, just asking the questions.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      I am thinking I will have maybe 500 or so into it..less a cheapy paint job. So can I maybe double the investment at least? Im not interested in being hung with it forever.
                      With your track record, I'm wondering why you are even considering this bike. Why don't you just take your money and donate it to charity? At least SOME good will come of it!!!!!
                      Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                      87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                      99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                      15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Is this the bike?
                        And does the girl come with it?
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

She'll be a grandmother by now.....

I wouldn't touch the bike unless it turns over freely. The odds on the crank being good are around 3 : 1 against....

I've built several of these motors for racing and it usually takes 3 or 4 parts motors to get enough good bits to build a sound motor.

Comment

carb diaphrams are like GOLD.. hope you do not need one (or TWO???)

Comment

Working...
                            X