Bmw k100rs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bmw k100rs

Some questions for the flying brick fans. Note, I will post some similar questions on the BMW forums, just thought I hit up the GS folks first.

Yesterday I test rode a '91 K100RS, with 56k miles. It had some problems. Some I expect are inherent to the design.

1) the left foot peg had noticeable vibration. Is this something you just live with (or get a K75)?
    2) When swerving, the bike would react quickly at first, but then really take some force to lean it over more. It felt like trying to turn a spinning gyroscope toy. Easy at first then resisting.
    3) When bike returned upright it felt like there was a wiggle (kind of loose) in the rear suspension. I doubt it was tuned for my weight, but more likely it is worn parts.
    4) It has injector problems. When dropping the throttle it would fail to return to idle and die. My main concern is the was the throttle response and feel. The throttle didn't feel linear. If it was carbureted, I would say there was a problem at each transition (idle - mid - full). Really like it was running too lean at mid and bogs when opening up the throttle. If it was factory fresh would I think the throttle was any different from a carbureted motorcycle?

Thanks for any thoughts and input. I did like the bike. Very solid feel on the road and ergonomics were outstanding. BTW, the seller wants $1800 (not likely to take less). I am at $1500 without a better understand of its problems. There is no history, needs tires, brake hoses, pads. Over all it looks it looks ok, but not a clean or pristine example.

Never owned a K100RS but have previously owned a BMW. The later models K100s were far better than the original 1980 models so a 91 is a good model year.
    • K100s are inherently buzzy, BMW reacted to compliants about vibration with various upgrades. To answer your question you live with it.
    • BMW OEM parts are expensive, so if parts in the FI system need to be replaced your'e looking at substantial bill
    • For example a BMW "safety wheel" retailed for something like $700 - $800 USD in the early 2000's. No thank you. Snowflake wheels on the R models are also still expensive
    • No comment on the directional stability issue but that is a warning sign too . . . I would pass on it.
    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Bmw's are great machines and very affordable to run ... As long as you're starting with a good one and keep up the maintenance. If you buy a even slightly snotty one it'll get unaffordably expensive to repair. Put your money into a good one and it'll serve you well and be a joy to own.

Comment

Originally posted by GelandeStrasse View Post
        Bmw's are great machines and very affordable to run ... As long as you're starting with a good one and keep up the maintenance. If you buy a even slightly snotty one it'll get unaffordably expensive to repair. Put your money into a good one and it'll serve you well and be a joy to own.
        What he said, they are great, but you don't want to have to fix things. I'm on my fifth Beemer and haven't had to fix a damned thing yet. Not even worn out cables, nothing.

Find one where everything works correctly, it won't cost all that much more.

Some buzz more than others, but they aren't bad. The 750 is definitely the smoothest motorcycle I have ever ridden. The 1000, not so much, but it's OK. A buzzy footpeg might be loose or have a cracked mounting or something. It does take some effort to hold them down in a turn, but any wiggling, looseness or instability at all is a sign of a problem, a good BMW doesn't do that.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You may want to look at a boxer, unless you're set on a brick and its complexities.

Comment

Thanks for good advice. I passed on it. If I understand correctly the K1100 is mostly the same bike and was made till 1996. I am definitely going to wait and buy a cream puff.

In fact there is a '96 K1100 with 3900 miles on it, yes 3900 miles. The price is high $6700 and it seems to be gray - how boring is that. Only the Germans would make a motorcycle in such a conservative color. I might go look at it today or tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by GS ace View Post
              You may want to look at a boxer, unless you're set on a brick and its complexities.
              So funny story. I had no real interest in BMWs until I was reading about the brick and its design. It was a moment of self discovery when I realized that most of the vehicles I own are overly complex. The simple vehicles never stayed in my stable for long.

So now thanks to the 12 step program I can say: Yes I am a freak and the brick complexities are what turn me on and make me want to own one

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Some buzz more than others, but they aren't bad. The 750 is definitely the smoothest motorcycle I have ever ridden.
                Tom, what years (??) would you recommend in a K75 series.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by subforry View Post
                  In fact there is a '96 K1100 with 3900 miles on it, yes 3900 miles. The price is high $6700 and it seems to be gray - how boring is that. Only the Germans would make a motorcycle in such a conservative color. I might go look at it today or tomorrow.
                  $6700 is way too high...
                  You can find very nice K1100s, both RS or LT for $3500-$4500.

My first one I found on eBay for $2800 and put about $1200 into it.
                  The one I just wrecked was $4K from a dealer...21K miles, a '96, very clean and in a very un-boring red.

This is the one I got for $4K

Look on Craigslist, eBay, motobrick.com, K11og.org and The IBMWR Marketplace.
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

So just rode it. Very nice but has problems. The fuel gauge is broken and the fork seals are leaking. It is being offered by a dealer and they will fix these. It has new tires and battery. The brake lines look original. Also the foam rubber is starting to disintegrate (the tank pads and lower fairing seal).

The color turned out to be nice - blue base with gray flakes.

At the start of the ride the red waning light was on. At some point it went out. The shift lever is set below the foot peg and compared to my Suzuki it is very short. I was wearing my boots and hitting the shifts was hard.

When moderately loading the engine it would make a grumbling sound. I think it was only the exhaust note. If it is was the engine then it would be falling apart very soon.

I see what you mean about the price. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                      Tom, what years (??) would you recommend in a K75 series.
                      I don't know, don't think they ever changed it much. Don't know if they changed the valve system when the 1100 did? My K75 was an '88 I think. It had the ABS, was a nice bike. A bit underpowered and overhevy but I liked it more than the 1000. I wish they made the 750 with the RS fairing, but they didn't. Some folks put it on, it's a great fairing..

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                      X