X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone into Vintage Dirtbikes?? YZ490

Have my 1982 Yamaha YZ490 For sale.....

This bike is a nasty one

Brother those big YZ's are just mental !

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
      Brother those big YZ's are just mental !
      I know it. This bike is about as raw as it gets.

I had an IT490 when i was 15. It had bucked me off more than a few times. Also tore a hole in the back side of my knee when it backfired trying to kick it over. What a beast of a bike.

Actually have an old video of the IT showing me who's boss She was a hard starter....It had a broken kicker return and a few teeth missing on the gear, not to mention the amount of compression at sea level!!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

These were crazy fast bikes with a wild power band. A good friend of mine bought one of these new. I had a Husky CR250 at the time and it was pretty crazy ,but not like the YZ.
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

The monster two stokes will climb a freaking tree!

How much?

Comment

Rode one of those. I had the hardest time even getting a leg over it in order to take it for a ride. When it stood on end in second gear, my riding it for the day was over. I set it back down on two wheels putted it back to the house and handed it back to my (ex) brother-in-law who was laughing his arse off I might add.

That was one nasty bike.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I would put the kx500 kawi up there as one of the best as well as the cr500 Honda. I had a 400 husky liquid desert bike very fast. Them 490 yami as well not for the timid.
              sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
              1994 gsxr1100w
              1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                The monster two stokes will climb a freaking tree!

How much?
                That is my bike in the ad, $1100.

This was the first year of the 490 and apparently had the most aggressive porting....producing around 50 HP

Comment

Originally posted by Samsonite View Post
                  Actually have an old video of the IT showing me who's boss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgMHkWikD_s
                  Damn man! That's funny $hit right there!!! Thanks for posting this.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Damn man! That's funny $hit right there!!! Thanks for posting this.
                    Thought you guys might enjoy that. I thought i was pretty cool on that thing. I had melted the piston and just rebuilt the top end. It was a lot of bike for me at that age....as you can tell i'm leaning it up against the trailer just to start it!

Comment

i used to have a road legal YZ465 years ago. that thing was dam right ridiculous!!!!!

went through a rear tyre every week, never wore the front one out! ( i wonder why?)

will dig out some pics and scan them tomorrow.
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Good stuff guys, a mate had a 490 and it was a weapon!

I had a road legal XR600R, not a two stroke but still an insane bike. I loived its do anything kind of style, wasn't the best for the tight stuff but certainly jumped and tracked well. In had the Dakar 23 litre tank okn it and used it for 200 mile rides easily. After a while I upgraded the camshaft, ignition and intake plenum for more performance, really helped through the midrange and topend, improved fuel economy as well.

Sold it last year to a mate, maybe I'll get it back one day ;D

- boingk

Comment

Yeah I love them old Yammerhammers. My brother had a 79 400F my cousin had the 250F both brand new. We had such fun back then... Oh loved the vidio too.
                          My Motorcycles:
                          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)
                          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Thanks for the video and pretty much anyone who has ridden a dirt bike has fallen off with the front tire in the air.

Love the sound of that old girl.

Chris
                            1983 750 Katana
                            1982 750 Katana (parts use)
                            1983 RZ350

Comment

Had a street legal XR600 also. Just as hard to start.... Not nearly the same oomph behind that throttle, though.

That old IT did sound very nice. Wish i could get this YZ down to sea level before i sell it. Would be a hoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X