1985 K100 Special - The Wulf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 K100 Special - The Wulf

So a couple of years ago I started to take a liking to the K100RS SE (blue/white paint scheme). Thought it would be nice to have in the stable in case I ever wanted to do any touring (or at least sport touring). Periodically I will search nationally for a good one and in one of those searches I came across this bike. It's a 1985 K100 Wulf Gerstenmaier Special. A what you say? In my research pre purchase I found out Wulf Gerstenmaier was a motorcycle racer from Germany who started a company which made special kits for BMW K100's as well as Porsche's. Most likely this is the only one in the US. I think they only made 150 kits max (this is #37); this one was bought and put together for BMW dealer in California.

Sort of a sad story actually about the purchase. As I said I had been searching for a K100RS for a while and came across this bike for sale in California. Talked to the owner for about 30 minutes one Thursday night and he sent me a couple of emails on all he could find out about the bike. Had been thinking about it and two days later Saturday morning I get this email from his email address:

Russell- My husband, *****, passed away yesterday of a heart attack. It was sudden and unexpected, and I'm not exactly together right now. If you are still interested in the K100, his son will be here tomorrow and I can have him help me with the pics if he has time.

Let me know of your interest.

Wow. I emailed her back and said that yes I was still interested but this obviously wasn't the right time and that when it was to let me know. Long story short a couple of weeks later we reached a deal and the bike made it here last week safe and sound. Replaced all fluids, new tires, battery and front brake switch and she is ready to roll. Still need to do some cleanup on wheels and for some reason they put a Kerker can that was made for a right side exhaust on it. Could use touch up on pinstriping (well could use a full respray but it's not horrible). Now for the pics.

Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2013, 03:47 PM.

Comment

A couple of others I found on the net. Info on these bikes is VERY scarce.

Comment

Wow. That styling was way ahead of it's time. That looks awesome.

Comment

Cool bike, Russ. It definitely looks far newer then a mid 80's bike. If it weren't for the headlight, it'd look like it was from this century. Sad about the previous owner, and nice of you to back away until the time was right. I'm sure his family appreciated that. Could possibly use a secondary color on it to break all that silver up a bit, but that's just me. Very nice machine.
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I don't remember ever seeing 3 mirrors on a bike before.
            Cool period bike, Russ.
            I have a Fox Twin Clicker on my '81 CBX that looks similar to the one on yours.
            There is a semi famous BMW restorer near me. If you are interested i will find out if he has any info on the Wulf.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

So is that a 2 valve motor, or 4 valve?
              I don't know much about the mid 80's Ks......

Looks damn cool though...
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                I don't remember ever seeing 3 mirrors on a bike before.
                Cool period bike, Russ.
                I have a Fox Twin Clicker on my '81 CBX that looks similar to the one on yours.
                There is a semi famous BMW restorer near me. If you are interested i will find out if he has any info on the Wulf.
                I was waiting for someone to notice that. I have absolutely no idea why it is there. Only good for getting in the way of clutch lever. At first I thought maybe it was like cooley and the mirrors were almost useless but no you can see out of them just fine. The other mirror will be coming off tomorrow.

Rode it for first time today. Freaking aggressive riding position. Gauge cluster bent down way too far you can hardly see it when riding. Speedo isn't working. So still a few bugs to work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

I believe they changed when they went to 1100ccs, not positive.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

It's a 4 valve

Comment

I wonder if Hans Muth had a hand in its design.

Comment

Very cool!!!!!

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the third mirror is aftermarket, and added to give a better view when tucked down low. (The thought has crossed my mind of adding one in a similar position on my 'Tona, but placement and size are tricky.)

I know it may look a bit strange, but adjust it to see behind you when you are in a tuck and see if it makes more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
                            It's a 4 valve
                            Actually I was wrong above; it is a 2 valve. The K100RS went to a 4 valve in 1990.

Comment

Working...
                            X