Yamaha TW200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamaha TW200

Anybody have experience with these little dual purpose bikes?

It's not the bike I want, but it's as close to a Van Van as I'm likely to ever get.
    Because I'd have to go to Europe (RV125) or Japan (RV200) to get one.
    The TW200 seems to compare nicely to the RV200, and can look the part.

These bikes would be perfect for short trips to down town or down the highway.
    And off-road riding on my property in rough and sandy West Texas.

I've recently spent time on a CRF150F that has me interested in trail riding.
    If I were to go the dirt bike route, I'd get a CRF230F, or maybe a CRF150F.
    But I think I'd rather go dual sport. And the TW200 seems to fit my style.

Grab yourself a beer and start reading.
    A forum community dedicated to Yamaha TW200 owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, exhaust, suspension, parts, modifications, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!

They look like a fun bike to ride.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

There are RV 125s in the USA
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        Grab yourself a beer and start reading.
        A forum community dedicated to Yamaha TW200 owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, exhaust, suspension, parts, modifications, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!

They look like a fun bike to ride.
        I spent most of last night on tw200forum. Also on Google image searches.

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
        There are RV 125s in the USA
        Seriously. I've looked all over and couldn't find one anywhere.
        And the Suzuki dealer I called had no information on them.

I think after reading up on the tw, I'd be quite pleased with it.
        A new one is too pricey, I'll have to keep watching for a deal to pop up.

Comment

I have a 2005 TW200.It is like a sure footed little burro that will get you through and there and back,as long as you keep it in it's capabilities and not think it is more than it is. It will putput all day on hardly much fuel,i have squeezed close to 90mpg at times.she will show you some highway too.been up to 70mph on her but 55 or lower is a better pace.I like mine fine and so does my wife as she won't let me ride it except for safety and maintenance duties.Put some small saddle bags on her for small items.You never knew how many garage and barn sale are out there on the back sand/gravel roads..little bags are nice touch.Hiway or byway you are legal and capable.I ride along with wife on KLR250 A little longer legged burro and the rider might need longer legs also but not by much another possibility for choice but with my KLR250 she takes a good kick to start to begin the session.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2013, 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by ValorSolo View Post
            I spent most of last night on tw200forum. Also on Google image searches.

Seriously. I've looked all over and couldn't find one anywhere.
            And the Suzuki dealer I called had no information on them.

I think after reading up on the tw, I'd be quite pleased with it.
            A new one is too pricey, I'll have to keep watching for a deal to pop up.

Here are pages of them

Comment

I rode a TW200 when I took the MSF weekend course. Probably great for the trails, but it sucked for puttering around in a parking lot.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                I appreciate the link, that's a handy search engine.

All that I managed to see (slow internet today) were all pre-1982 models.
                The RV125 was discontinued in '82 and reintroduced in 2003 as a very different bike.

Comment

I see TW 200s up here all the time

While they are a dual sport, you should eliminate the sport half

They putter along quite well, but I wouldn't be counting on any air time

They're real popular with hunters and RVers, so they hold their value. Anything under $2,500 is a deal, no matter how old they are
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Air time? If I leave the ground, something went seriously wrong.

I am looking for something to ride down the back roads, cruise around downtown,
                    a little trail riding, or just ride in circles on my 10 acres of beautiful desert.

So far, I've found a few listed for as low as $2000, on up to $4500.

Comment

Another question hit me.
                      I can't seem to find it now, but I remember reading somewhere that the TW200 went fuel injected in 2007.
                      Is that correct? If so, it would be best to go after an '07 up, right?
                      I can't think of any disadvantages of fuel injection. But I can think of one major benefit, no carb cleaning.

Comment

I like the idea of the TW200. 200cc isn't enough to keep it from being a hood ornament of the 2 lane roads around Tillamook, Oregon or around Hermon Maine. The power of a DR350 would be sufficient. My XT250 will just about stay away from traffic.

Comment

Great bikes for sandy conditions! / perfect for loading on rear of RV and exploring (camping etc) / fantastic option for those with low standover height (short legs) / ok for local grocery store run / not for Highway riding.

Definite reason these do not stay 'for sale' for long... and their prices reflect it.

Comment

I rode an 8 mile example for my MSE class. It was enjoyable, but a bit top heavy with a 220 pound unsteady rider. I considered buying one until I saw the price for new....There were a couple with 6k miles, they both sounded like they were way overdue for valve adjustment. Not sure what the maintenance schedule is like.
                            sigpic
                            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                            1983 GS1100e
                            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                            1980 GS1260
                            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by ptexotik View Post
                              Great bikes for sandy conditions! / perfect for loading on rear of RV and exploring (camping etc) / fantastic option for those with low standover height (short legs) / ok for local grocery store run / not for Highway riding.

Definite reason these do not stay 'for sale' for long... and their prices reflect it.

Looks to be a great choice for a trail ride or just exploring. I wouldn't want to be on a highway though with only 200cc's. Too bad there isn't a TW400. That would be killer.
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X