Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im torn between 2 motorcycles

Hey guys
    Just need a little help making a decision. Either buy a cl350 need nothing or buy a cb550. Any one have any experience with these bikes. I worked on both but never owned one. I know both have a good following when it comes.to.after.market...

I've been a Honda guy most my life until finding the Cooley..and I think the 550 is a much better bike overall. Way more versatile. Light, and yet powerful enough to take out on the highway. The 350 is limited..although a cool bike, especially the CL with the high pipes. I guess you just need to determine how you're going to use it. The 350 will go off road a bit, the 550 won't, but is a much better commuter-friendly corner-carving type of bike.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I've owned a cl360 and cb550. Although I liked the cl360 scrambler look, the cb550 was better for me. The 550 is quick and well able to do highway miles. The cl360 was more of an across town, backroads solo ride.

Scudder

Comment

Rode a 305 superhawk as a dirtbike when i was 12 till i got my license, then got a cb360. less than a year later came across a 1 year old '76 cb550 for sale. (Guy messed up his back.) That said, go with the 550.
        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I owned a CB500 or 550. I don't know which. Slow, top heavy feeling to me. Peter Egan loves them, I can't say that I do. Better than a CB350 though .

Mine is there on the right. You can see the orange metalflake and black tank. Its as heavy or heavier than an 850 Commando.

sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

This is what I really like about this forum.

Where else can you come onto a forum that is dedicated to one model of bike and ask for advice not only about a different model, but a different manufacturer.

OK so much for asking the question, it is ANSWERED by those with experience.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              This is what I really like about this forum.

Where else can you come onto a forum that is dedicated to one model of bike and ask for advice not only about a different model, but a different manufacturer.

OK so much for asking the question, it is ANSWERED by those with experience.

If I can toot my own horn a bit tapping that resource is why I asked Frank to consider an "other bikes" forum.Frank made good idea better by separating questions which is a purged forum and projects which is not purged.Some thought it might detract from GSR's focus http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=198186 but most thought not.I think it s a real asset to what was a great forum and helps keep stuff like this from getting lost in the "off topic".

Comment

The CL350 IMO is a cooler bike.

The 550 is a large block with a small bore. You could take the top end from a CB650 and have a cool motor but that would involve a lot of extra cost.

Comment

I had a cl350. Great bike just bombing around town and suburb .... and a wonderfully SIMPLE bike.
                  My brother road it to California and back, when the 55mph was the rule.

Comment

I have owned both. The CL was my first real motorcycle. Rode the heck out it, loved it but it scared me on the highway. If you want more of a hiway ride then its the 550 hands down. Neither of them I thought were great performance machine buts I loved the high exhaust on the CL

Comment

Go 550. 350 is simply too small. You would find quickly instances where that lack of power (the 350) would give you regret fro not going with the bigger inline four! Now if you can afford both???? Leave the 550 stock- it will haul you and a passenger and is highway capable but you could play with the 350.

I have a beautiful stock XS1100 thjat runs like new. But I had to have an XS650twin because they are cool.

This is what I did with the 650 twin. Just a cool around town bike. I have the 1100 for highway jaunts and passenger riding.

Just my opinion- I like the old metric inline twins and fours!

Comment

I've owned neither a CL 350 nor a CB550. But as mentioned up thread, the CL pipes have a cool component to them and the CB will be a smoother and stronger highway speed runner.

Only one thing to do .......... get both. Problem of decision making solved.

Comment

My bussy has a cb550 1978 model

It was more than able to keep up with my bike in spite of the SOHC 2V vs DOHC 15V difference.

Thye are pretty bikes with comfortable seating.

Comment

Originally posted by jetta90 View Post

Only one thing to do .......... get both. Problem of decision making solved.
                            /\ What he said. No brainer. /\

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ive had both and they are both great. I had a CB360 and it was fine at freeway speeds but you will get blown around passing trucks and when it gets windy. Sits taller than CB550 and is way more buzzy. You will be numb after 200 miles. Sold it to a friend who used it as his winter bike. Think it finally died at 260000 miles. CB550 was smooth but I wouldn't make a habit of riding 2 up on it. It runs out of power when you weight it down and you will have to downshift to pass in a stiff headwind. Sold that one to same friend as CB360 and that one made it to around 400000 miles before is finally died.

Comment

Working...
                              X