Bought an '89 Katana 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought an '89 Katana 750

I bought an '89 Katana 750 for cheap in non-running condition. 34k km or 21k miles. Hasnt been run in maybe a decade. Dead battery, but with a battery hooked up all lights worked and it turned over (not seized). It has the Dot head, some scrapes and rust, but 99% stock and complete. Gas tank has rust, it got into the carbs too as I learned after taking them apart.
    Did a compression test, one cylinder was down at 30 psi. Checked and set valve lash, cleaned the plugs, threw on the set of carbs from my GS and she fired right up
    Ran it for maybe 1/2 hour total, letting it cool down in between. Did another compression test on that same cylinder after it cooled down and it improved all the way to 120 psi.

Started flushing the brake fluid today, started with the rear, then went to the front and took off the cap, and YUCK, what was in there looked like used motor oil, and had gooey slime at the bottom. So, I used a syringe to suck it out, cleaned it out with paper towel and put in fresh instead of running that crap through the system.

Comment

Nice bike... i found those have problem bending the 1st or 2nd shift fork and having to split the case. just something to be leary about.

Comment

So you bought that Kan-o-tuna Seen it on UsedVic but no $$ to even have a look.At first glance I thought some PO did a REALLY bad welding job to replace the fuel filler,then I realized it was the clear coat peeling

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
          So you bought that Kan-o-tuna Seen it on UsedVic but no $$ to even have a look.At first glance I thought some PO did a REALLY bad welding job to replace the fuel filler,then I realized it was the clear coat peeling
          Ya, for the price, even if it had major issues I could part it out, but seeing as how it runs decent, I am going to ride it. Just not sure what to do with the GS because we dont really have room for two bikes I am quite/very tired of wrenching on the GS anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
            Started flushing the brake fluid today, started with the rear, then went to the front and took off the cap, and YUCK, what was in there looked like used motor oil, and had gooey slime at the bottom. So, I used a syringe to suck it out, cleaned it out with paper towel and put in fresh instead of running that crap through the system.
            Make sure the return bypass port on the bottom of M/C housing is not clogged too with gooey slime otherwise during your first ride(s) the front brakes will build up pressure resulting in a liquid locked brake lever

Not a good thing when riding
            1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
            Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
              Make sure the return bypass port on the bottom of M/C housing is not clogged too with gooey slime otherwise during your first ride(s) the front brakes will build up pressure resulting in a liquid locked brake lever

Not a good thing when riding
              Ya, I had that happen on my GS, not fun. I was able to flush new fluid through all 4 bleed screws no problem, and I wiped all the crap out of the master so I think I am ok.

Comment

Swap

You know, you can swap the GSXR1100 Crank, clutch basket rods, pistons, cylinder, studs, and cam chain into the short stroke cases. The you have a 6 speed 1127/750 Katana.
                G
                sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

Nice Bikes!

I've had 2 of those…still have the second.
                  Sounds like you know a thing or two, so I'm not gonna chime in, 'cept for a link to http://www.katriders.com/vb/index.php
                  Enjoy!
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

A 'busa front end (with the front wheel) and a rear wheel from a "post" ('98 and newer of the gsx 600/750's yours is a "pre") are an easy swap (my kids 600 we did this sprng) for 120/160 tires. Looks great too. They are straight style three spoke wheels that are so simular that they look like they came from the same bike.
                    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Went for my first ride on it today, took it easy on the old/really old tires. I have new rubber on the way. Runs really well. So different than the GS with the fairing not turning with the handlebars. Handles very nice on the highway, wanders a little at city speeds, hoping its the old tires. Has real nice brakes up front dual opposed front pistons.

Comment

these bikes run very good and made good HP.
                        a common problem was shattered output shaft bearings.
                        i live in a smaller area and i have had 2 come in with this problem.
                        both was 1989's.
                        just an FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                          these bikes run very good and made good HP.
                          a common problem was shattered output shaft bearings.
                          i live in a smaller area and i have had 2 come in with this problem.
                          both was 1989's.
                          just an FYI.
                          Would that be the one right behind the countershaft sprocket?

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                            Would that be the one right behind the countershaft sprocket?
                            yes sir...

Comment

May i ask, why did they fail? I'm currently freshening up one of these before installing it into my '83 750es. Not that there is much '83 left of it anymore. I had to chop off some of the bottom of the fuel tank cause the carbs sit up so high with the DOT head.

Comment

Working...
                              X