Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mark 4 mirror perch.

So with my 4th try at extending my mirrors I came up with this:

Many of the gurus mentioned that the perch would have to be really rigid and after doing it in 1/8" mild steel, 1/4" and 3/8" nylon the 1/4" aluminum seems to finally fit the bill. It doesn't move. The mirrors still vibrate at certain revs but its not really that bad and I can now tell what kind of vehicle it is.

The perches push the mirrors out well past my arms so the view is good finally and I can now determine if its safe to move.

These are just the rough first effort. I rounded the nose to an aircraft wing leading edge profile and after the season I will taper the rear edge as well.

They may be butt ugly but at least now I feel safe to ride once again.

Originally posted by spyug View Post
    So with my 4th try at extending my mirrors I came up with this:

Many of the gurus mentioned that the perch would have to be really rigid and after doing it in 1/8" mild steel, 1/4" and 3/8" nylon the 1/4" aluminum seems to finally fit the bill. It doesn't move. The mirrors still vibrate at certain revs but its not really that bad and I can now tell what kind of vehicle it is.

The perches push the mirrors out well past my arms so the view is good finally and I can now determine if its safe to move.

These are just the rough first effort. I rounded the nose to an aircraft wing leading edge profile and after the season I will taper the rear edge as well.

They may be butt ugly but at least now I feel safe to ride once again.
    Clark Y or a laminar flow section?

Comment

Maybe I should have just said "bull nosed" or maybe just "knocked off the sharp edges" since I wasn't paying attention in physics, never took aeronautical engineering and I don't know laminar from dihedral (but I think the dihedral on those is upside down which is likely a good thing no?)

Well I don't think they'll have much effect on my riding other than allowing me to see so its all good.

Comment

Have you ever tried a set of bar-end mirrors? i've used nothing but for many years. My '83 has a "third eye" brand $12 bicycle mirror, while the 850 has $35 ebay ones. And they are blurr free, i have aluminum handlebars on both bikes too so that helps also.
        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

The '83
          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

While, I think there could be some aesthetic improvement with the mounts (perhaps even a relocation of the mounts to reduce the length), I much prefer the ergonomics of the rear view from these mirrors over bar end.

I have my elephant ear Napoleon convex mirrors mounted on extenders that given me plenty visibility without having to deviate my normal sight line a significant about. In fact It feels like I'm just scanning my eyes from left to right to go from left (rear) center (forward) and right rear. It is very easy to scan left to right and I can be on constant watch without straining my eyes looking down at bar end's.

I use something similar to this with convex mirrors and vibration dampners. They may not be the coolest but they are certainly the most comfortable for me.

Comment

Thanks guys. I did try a set of bar end "Napoleons" but I couldn't get the bolt part of the mirror to extend far enough in to the bar to grab. These bars are threaded to accept the weights and the end of the bar is about 1" inside the grip. I haven't tried other types but I think those little round ones would be too small.

I do like the size of a stock mirror and the view it affords when setup right. I have made extenders for my GS bikes like the ones shown and they always worked extremely well. I never had much of a problem setting them up. These Yamahas are something else but I suspect all sportbikes with fairing mounted mirrors are the same.
              My friend's daughter's ZX6R Ninja seems very much the same.....good view of the upper arm and shoulder.

Yeah these things are not pretty but I will run with them for the rest of our short season and try and tart them up over winter.

Thanks for the interest and input.

Comment

Working...
              X