Water, Soap, Aluminum Foil and Wax.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water, Soap, Aluminum Foil and Wax.

What a transformation. I think you just put $1000 back into the value of that bike

Comment

You have some mighty fine PhotoShopping skills.........

Just kidding....bike looks great

Comment

Question what did or whats the purpose of aluminun foil just wondering , and that is a very nice bike , Brian

Comment

OK I'll bite. What was the aluminum foil for ???
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Cleaning off the rust.

Comment

Thanks. It appears to do an excellent job.
              Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
              Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
              1983 GS 750

Comment

The aluminum foil is a quick and inexpensive way to remove the rust from chrome.

Simply take a piece and crumple it a bit, wet the surface and gently rub.

You will quickly feel the surface getting smoother. Follow it with a good waxing.

Comment

Very very nice. How does it run?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Bike looks great. Nice work.

Caution to anyone reading this though about the aluminum foil trick: it will remove rust but will also scratch the chrome. Don't ask me how I learned this. Turtle Wax chrome cleaner is safer, but more work. Choose your weapon carefully.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Very very nice. How does it run?
                      It runs ok........needs a little fine tuning. I haven't touched it in quite a while, until this weekend. I just replaced the points, condenser and plugs and now have to time it.

Steve was here last year and we rebuilt the carbs and played with it a bit.

My 17 year old (senior in high school) son looked at it this weekend and said " I would like to take that to college ". So.......... I have to find him a college with a ground level dorm or an elevator. You know what I mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Bike looks great. Nice work.

Caution to anyone reading this though about the aluminum foil trick: it will remove rust but will also scratch the chrome. Don't ask me how I learned this. Turtle Wax chrome cleaner is safer, but more work. Choose your weapon carefully.
                        Interesting........ I didn't see any scratching at all. However, we are talking 40 year old chrome here, so maybe I was not being too critical.

The transformation was well worth the risk, in my case.

As Nessism stated " Choose your weapon carefully"

I make no guarantees that the above stated process will work for your specific task. I can tell you that no puppies were harmed during this process.

Comment

I've had good luck with 000 steel wool for removing rust without scratching the chrome.

Comment

That's a beautiful 450 vmass. That's one to get running right, and then leave it alone. Survivors like that are pretty rare in that kind of condition.

I've heard for years of people using aluminum foil on chrome, but always found that SOS (specifically) pads work really well, with no chance of scratching. Looks like your parts turned out nice, so no harm, no foul, eh..?
                            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                              Interesting........ I didn't see any scratching at all.
                              I don't know, looks like it took all the chrome off the rear rack / backrest.
                              1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
                              1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
                              1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Working...
                              X