My next vintage big inline four bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My next vintage big inline four bike

No purchase anytime soon but Im ALWAYS thinking! My current is a 1979 XS1100F that I fixed up. Runs fantastic with looks to match. However I love them all! My next bike must be more powerfull then the XS1100. I salivate over the 1980-1981 GS1100E with its TSCC engine. No shim buckets and lots of torque. I like the 80-81 best because I like its 1970s standard look. (Dont care for the modern look it took on in 1982) But there is another big metric I desire. And for very legit reasons. The big KZ Kawawaski is powerfull. I know its engine wont handle additional power the way the GS will but Im a stock knda guy anyway. The big deal with the old Kawasakis is that ALMOST EVERY OEM PART IS STILL AVAILABLE! Gas tanks bolts electrical rubber lenses instruments .... it is all available. Ill use bikebandit.com as an example here:

Notice to the right under availabilty in green it states "usually ships in one to two days" For my Yamahas and many others that column entirely reads "unavailable" One could make a brand new bike from new old stock parts if one were crazy. The main thing that disheartens me with old bikes is that many parts are only available used. I hate buying used plastic body parts!! (you have to with yamaha) UV rays turn plastic to potato chips over the years.

I looked up many KZ models and parts are in overabundance for all. I may do a KZ750 twin in the future for my daughter- everything is available for the twin from 1977 to when it ended in 82-83. Odd and interesting.

Why so many surplus parts for Kawasaki? Honda CBs outsold everyone but the CB has no where near the avail of the KZ.

I am amazed at the parts one can still get for 30 year old Suzuki's as well.
    And Ebay still provides some decent used parts for the discerning eye.

1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

True Rover but what blew me away about Kawasaki is that not only are brand new tanks still available- but pre painted in up to 5 different factory colors. If one wants they could buy brand new Kawasaki tank, side covers and rear cowling all pre painted. I had to do alot of work to my XS1100 tank to get it nice. The used tanks were no better than I had and were pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
        The big KZ Kawawaski is powerfull. I know its engine wont handle additional power the way the GS will but Im a stock knda guy anyway.
        They will definitely handle the additional power.

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
          I may do a KZ750 twin in the future for my daughter- everything is available for the twin from 1977 to when it ended in 82-83. Odd and interesting.
          mharrington: I noticed you are thinking about a 2-pot KZ 750 for your daughter. May I suggest an inline 4 KZ650? First manufactured in 1976 and lasted through 1983, I believe. They are much more interesting than the 2-cylinder 750. Have very good performance for the day and look like a little brother to the Z1 and KZ1000. It would be great to have both in a stable of bikes. My opinion is that the 1978 or 79 c or b models are the best. The c and b are very similar with a primary difference being whether you like wire spoked wheels or not. I don't care for the D or H models since they are more of a cruiser. Here's a link that gives a lot of good info on all the different years and styles.

Comment

She shaft jacking on the XS1100, XS750, XS850 is unbelieveable. Its kind of entertaining the way that both ends raise up when you get on the gas. A giant lunge. Not so good for cornering though.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I own an 80 kz 1015.93 hp is plenty stock.
              Last edited by ron bayless; 10-09-2013, 12:22 PM.
              future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Working...
              X