Can this be brought back to its glory 85 GPZ 750 900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can this be brought back to its glory 85 GPZ 750 900

Sure it can,given enough time and money.It looks to be mostly there.Would need to repaint all the bodywork and like my EF there's a lot of it.

Comment

Well, it is a bit rough. My bike is exactly like it except two model years older.
      The engine is rock solid, many claim the 1977 GS750 engine is based on that engine.
      The pluses: It has the full fairing, very rare.
      The seat appears to be in good condition.
      All the body work appears to be there.
      The windshield appears to be in good shape.

The neutrals:
      It has a header, some like that, some prefer the stock exhaust.
      No pics of the right side of the bike. Why not?

The negatives:
      Paint, as observed, is really rough.
      The bike originally came with matching red wheels, which tended to turn orange over time. The front appears to be repainted, but not the back.

Observations: If it is indeed the starter, it is an easy fix. Remove the carb bank, remove the battery cable, and the two bolts holding it to the engine cases, and it slides right out. I rebuilt mine last year with a minimum of effort, all things considered.
      It has Mikuni BS34SS carbs, with all the usual "rebuild them or else" connotations of the GS Mikunis.
      The decal set repros can still be purchased for $200 American.
      I like mine; it is lighter than the GS and a lot more flickable.

Comment

Sure it can, send the bodywork off to Larry, while it's gone fix everything else.

I have restored far worse, except for sending the bodywork to Larry.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

And larry is who?

Comment

Nevr2old or something like that. He does exceptional paint jobs.

Comment

This guy :

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
              With a metallic or a pearl, I would suggest spraying the clear at the same time as the base coat. Reason being, you won't be able to sand the base coat the next day without disturbing the pearl or the metallic. Do it all at one time, even if it's just to lay down a couple of coats of clear to protect the base coat. Then you can sand it smooth before applying the final clear coats.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Sure it can, send the bodywork off to Larry, while it's gone fix everything else.

I have restored far worse, except for sending the bodywork to Larry.
                That is not really an option anymore.Larry moved and can't do paint anymore sadly.

Comment

Yes it can be fixed with enough time and money , besides what has been stated, if you are true'ly interested bring a good fully charged battery when you go to look at it , and try to start it , because if it is true'ly the starter it is a easy fix , if it is the starter clutch not so easy. I believe you have to split the cases on a Kawaski to replace the starter clutch.
                  1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                  80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                  1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                  83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                  85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                  If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Money pit. If you're building it to ride, go right ahead, but you'll be over your head on it very quickly. Be different it was the Turbo model.
                    Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                    87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                    99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                    15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

FYI
                      the 77 GS750 engine was based on the 1973 Z1 900 kawi engine.
                      suzuki then grew it to 1000CC in 78 and added the quieter helical primary gears and removed the kick starter.

Comment

I have also read that the 900 was based on the 750, which Kawasaki chose not to deliver when Honda beat them to the punch with their 750 SOHC bike.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                          I have also read that the 900 was based on the 750, which Kawasaki chose not to deliver when Honda beat them to the punch with their 750 SOHC bike.
                          900 what based on what 750?
                          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,

Comment

my experience with the 650's is that they are an insert bearing design.
                            and doesn't the 650 use a chain to drive the transmission rather than primary gears?
                            i was also under the assumption the 750 kawi was closely related to the 650's as far as internal design..
                            with this information the above design seems really different from the Z1 and the GS750.
                            anyways....that's how i came to my conclusion.
                            to my knowledge suzuki got away from the straight cut gears because of the noise/whine.

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
                              Money pit. If you're building it to ride, go right ahead, but you'll be over your head on it very quickly. Be different it was the Turbo model.
                              Ya this is the fun one; this is the one from the show the other day

and this is my old one

1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Working...
                              X