Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radian Cafe/fighter/project

So,

I picked up a GS550L last week for a good deal, but I am not sure I can get the title (still woking on it). So I was crusing craigslist today and I see this bike and I really like the lines of the bike with the mods the PO did. I went to see it, not expecting to buy it today.

It's a 1988 Yamaha Radian 600. The rear of the frame has been chopped, and the bike just has a muscular look to it. He had it listed for $400, but I offered him $300 and we finally settled on $325. I also had him throw in the pod filters he took off trying to get it to run right, and a 300watt power inverter I saw laying on the floor of the storage shed the bike was in.

It has a title, it runs (although it does need some carb sorting), has fairly fresh tires, new fork seals and brakes, and is already cut up, so I won't feel like I'm molesting a complete bike. It moves under it's own power, but I need to check/fix a few things before I can ride it.

I intend to finish the job on the rear, make a seat (he gave me a cut down seat that needs minor trimming before being upholstered), clean up the poor wiring, and try to get a few days of riding in this year. Who knows with Chicago weather...

Over the winter I will break it down more completely and make it MUCH nicer.

Tell me what you think, and if you think I got a deal or not...

Oh, and it does have a Suzuki gas tank on it, so that's a plus...

Great deal. That 600cc makes good power but it will be higher in the RPM range than a 1970s 1000cc bike. If you prefer to minimize carb work run the stock airbox with a quality filter inside of it. My self_ I would get it running as good as it is supposed to run then finish the seat installation. AFTER you have a rider you can try some pod air filters. I have chose to keep airboxes on my bikes as I have read here and EVERYWHERE the constant velocity carburetor flat out does not work well with an individual pleated K&N style filter.

Comment

I don't mind the carb work, plus these are EASY to get to, unlike some other bikes I've owned. I have already pulled out the airbox, battery box, etc.. and plan on mounting all wiring and AGM battery under the seat.

One of the pods he gave me was a different ID it seems so I think I'll have to order 1 more. BOO.

So far, so good...

Comment

Too bad about the frame. Sawzall modders are all the rage these days, as is not finishing their projects apparently.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Had a Radian. Pretty quick bike for it's time. Prefer the original tank.

I'll be interested in how you finish this one out.

Comment

A little progress. Hope to do more this weekend.

Mounted the AGM battery under the seat, removed airbox, R/R mount, and all other items in the triamgle under the seat. Found that the other Pod I thought was wrong is actually OK. Will be fabricating a tray between the shocks to mount all of the electronics. Will extend the harness as needed to keep everything clean and hidden. Going to run pods, as I don't mind fiddling with the carbs, have a carbtune, wideband O2, and have done this befoer on my previous GS750 and got it to run sweet.

I will be wrapping the headers unless I can find a good deal on an aftermarket pipe kit.

Going to buy some sheet steel and tubing to make the rear "pod thing" that will go behind the seat, cover the electronics, and house the rear taillight.

Will update after this weekend when I have more progress hopefully.

Comment

Working...
            X