Kawasaki S1 on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kawasaki S1 on ebay

I saw this listed on ebay and am having a tough time believing it is on the up and up. They are so rare that if real, this thing could go for a ton of money! I've heard of S1's selling for $60,000 to $80,000! The story that accompanies the ad sounds too good to be true.

Last edited by eddie21; 09-23-2013, 01:20 PM.
    IBA# 12860
    Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
    1984 KZ1100R
    2008 Kawasaki KLR650
    2011 Concours 1400

Originally posted by eddie21 View Post
    I saw this listed on ebay and am having a tough time believing it is on the up and up. They are so rare that if real, this thing could go for a ton of money! I've heard of S1's selling for $60,000 to $80,000! The story that accompanies the ad sounds too good to be true.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-...item43bff2bf97
    Would be cool if the seller had some pictures of the paperwork proving the bike's lineage.

It may yet go for such a substantial sum, it has twenty-four bids in less six hours...

Comment

Not a Kawasaki S1 its a KZ1000 S1, big difference a Kawasaki S1 is a Triple 250cc two stroke street bike

Comment

Love everything about it. I'm priced-out, though.
        Are these particular S1's considered "homologated specials"?
        '80 GS1000ST
        '92 ZX-11
        Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Nice story, but you have to wonder.

There is nothing like a "race bike" with an 85 mph speedo.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by eddie21 View Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-...item43bff2bf97
            I have never heard the bit about a couple of these being disassembled to be used for spares.
            With there only being 30 in existence keep track of them over the years should not have been too difficult. Surprising that the Kawi community would not be aware of this particular bike.
            If the bike is legit[hopefully] i would think Kawasaki would be buying this iconic model for their museum.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Love the photos. Wonderful presentation. Bike looks immaculate. Watching to see how high it goes.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Lawn Monkey View Post
                Not a Kawasaki S1 its a KZ1000 S1, big difference a Kawasaki S1 is a Triple 250cc two stroke street bike
                Exactly my train of thought when I first read the thread heading, like 'wait, what?' That thing does belong at the Barber Museum, unless they already have a couple of them
                sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

WOW! That bike is spectacular, would love to own a piece of history like that!!!
                  Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                  87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                  99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                  15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Watching to see how high it goes.
                    Nine days and a few hours to go, it's already over $31,000.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Showed the bike to my mechanic who worked on a couple of different S1's back in the day. His comment was that the frame looks to maybe have been replaced by a J model frame. Every one he ever saw had steering stops welded onto each side of neck, which this bike doesn't have. He couldn't be sure that was factory done but both he had worked on had it. He thought with the story of the bike being only raced once that quite possibly it was wrecked and frame replaced?

Would love to hear Jeff Saunders opinions on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawn Monkey View Post
                        Ha ha! No kidding there's a big difference! Sorry about that, I think that myself and many other ELR guys abbreviate the big KZ1000 S1 to simply S1. I see that you have an S3 so it must have been misleading to you. Oops!

Meanwhile, the price certainly is climbing. There is a reserve set on it and I expect if you bid $50,000 that reserve still wouldn't be met. A lot of interest in this auction, so many of these bikes either were destroyed on the track or found their way to Japan that to find one in such good shape here in North America is amazing.
                        IBA# 12860
                        1984 KZ1100R
                        2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                        2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
                          Love everything about it. I'm priced-out, though.
                          Are these particular S1's considered "homologated specials"?
                          Nope, factory race bikes derived from the modified J model that won the SB title with EL aboard

These are ready to race factory specials, not like the RC-30 where you bought it and installed the factory race kit
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
                            Showed the bike to my mechanic who worked on a couple of different S1's back in the day. His comment was that the frame looks to maybe have been replaced by a J model frame. Every one he ever saw had steering stops welded onto each side of neck, which this bike doesn't have. He couldn't be sure that was factory done but both he had worked on had it. He thought with the story of the bike being only raced once that quite possibly it was wrecked and frame replaced?

Would love to hear Jeff Saunders opinions on this.

I wondered about this too, however, the vin# is JKAKZCR12CA000070, this puts it dead within the range of the KZ1000 S1's that were released. Kawasaki was actually quite good about their record keeping regarding frames in 1982.
                            IBA# 12860
                            1984 KZ1100R
                            2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                            2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Perhaps not the most relevant in this case, but interesting read re: what happened to a lot of superbikes: http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/...325gotodie.htm

And, here's a link to a registry indicating #70 is out there... somewhere... http://www.kz1000r.com/index.php/kz1...pecification-s
                              '80 GS1000ST
                              '92 ZX-11
                              Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X