Any VMax lovers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any VMax lovers out there?

Now that the GS1000 is running like new (and a joy to ride), time for a new challenge. One of my moles found a 1988 VMax that a coworker bought new...took immaculate care of it...pulled in the garage and turned off the key....in 2001. Bought for $1200. Not a scratch, but half full of gas and still had the battery in it. Will need to change all fluids, new rubber, and complete fuel system redo. Any recommendations for some to overhaul 35mm Mukunis?

VMAX is an awesome bike
    budyy has one of the newest ones
    its no fun riding on the back of that thing I can tell you.

Comment

Mr. 83GS1100E_Tornado will be along shortly to give you all the 411 you ever wanted on the VMAX.....as soon as hes done flaming TCK .
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

There's a guy on the VMAX forum that rebuilds all of my carbs. Here's the best thing though. When you send him your carbs and your money, he actually sends you the carbs back! No need to start a hate thread on the forum to call out the guy! I know, what a concept, right! Send me a PM and I'll give you his contact info!
        Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
        87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
        99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
        15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Sent PM. Thanks!

Comment

Thats an awesome deal! Even if you have to go through everything to get it up and running again, they are still going for $3k-$5k depending on condition. I just bought a 90 model in June for $3k and its in great shape and I love it! Good luck with yours and btw POST SOME PICS!

Comment

I got my 07 vmax in June and am loving it. It is definately a different kind of power. After reading all the reviews on it, I was surprised at how good it handles. Just keep in mind it is a heavy cruiser, not a sportbike. I do still have my 1150 and probably drive it 50% of the time or more. Very hard to beat a GS for the money.

Comment

Ive liked the Max since my sophomore year in high school when it debuted. Something I have to ask though- was it detuned over the years of its first generation? In 1985 magazine tests yamaha stated 145hp and the beast ran the 1/4mile in the high 10s. By the 2000s the hp rating was around 115ish and the 1/4 times were in the mid/high 11s. On a V Max board the members wanted to kick me in my nuggets for making the inquirey. They said the detuning is a myth- that the early max HP was rated at the crank and the latter was at the rear wheel. Anybody know for sure? Either way I want one.

Comment

Thanks guys! Rode one in 1985 and was hooked. On my bucket list and this one fell in my lap. Pix when done

Comment

I was never a big fan of the V-Max, but my Suzuki loved them! It use to eat them all the time at the drags. We called them "V-Max Snacks" I remember one guy use to ride from Akron to Quaker City Dragway with wheelie bars on it. He could raise them up when riding on the street then lower them at the track. Fun times back then...
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I always wanted one.I remember a road test said it was the shortest distance between you and losing your driver's license.
                      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

No one has any info on the alleged detuning of the Max over the years?

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
                          No one has any info on the alleged detuning of the Max over the years?
                          It was never "detuned", alot of wives tales about these bikes. The HP output was a "wee bit" more on the 85's, due to a less restrictive exhaust, and a bigger V-boost opening, but we're talking probably 5 hp tops. They are basically ALL the same, 86-07 horsepower ratings that is.........I just stole another nice one yesterday, I can't get enough of these great bikes!

Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                          87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                          99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                          15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Actually, the VBoost openings were increased in 86 by 2MM to make up for the most more restricted exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                            X