Kz750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kz750

Always liked these bikes...http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1...-750-111076890

Sent the guy an email.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

I had a 1980 KZ750 for a short time, very nimble. Don't know about the price, but you will I'm sure. Nice clean bike no doubt about that. I'll see if I can find some pics of mine.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I had one of those in red. Great town bike, but a bit light for the highway. The reason I finally bought my GS, since it was heavier it did not get blown around by 18 wheelers.

Comment

Yep the KZ 700 is a nice looking bike as well

Comment

Iam a kz guy of sorts.A friend of mine and i are making an 80 model kz 1000 into a cafe racer. I have 3 frames,3 motors,1 rolling chassis,1 complete bike.I prefer the gs bikes, but i also love the z bikes. The kz 750 has a great story. If you already know this sorry. But when the honda cb 750 came out in 1969 the kz 750 was going to be kawasakis big surprise.Honda beat them to it. So kawasaki went back to the drawing board and came out with the mighty z1. A true classic just like the cb. Then a year or 2 later, whenever the kz 750 was released it was the actual bike kawasaki had planned on showing. it is a great bike also. Unfortunately those 2 bikes are what killed the immediate success of the GS bikes. They were an also ran more or less by the time they came out. Having ridden all 3, i still prefer the GS. A person would be right no matter which bike he chose in my opinion.
          future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

AFA the GS, I believe Suzuki stuck with 2 strokes too long and were an also ran by the time they came out.
            I have owned both a GS750 and KZ750. I prefer the GS on the road due to its larger size and heavier weight. I prefer the KZ around town due to its lighter weight and shorter wheelbase.
            My GPz is based on the KZ and I prefer it to either bike.

Comment

The KZ750 is based on the 650 that came out several years earlier. The engine is actually 738cc, same stroke as the 650 but with a 4mm larger bore. It doesn't make as much horsepower as the GS750E or CB750F, but is more than 50lbs. lighter, which is my main attraction.
              Last edited by Nessism; 10-10-2013, 01:44 PM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Once you ride one Ed you can really tell the difference in weight. Like I said, much nicer in town due to this difference. You'll like it. Although it does not make as much overall power, it is the power to weight ratio that really counts. A GS feels like a tank in comparison.

Comment

I had one just like that for a while, great bike.
                  Kind of funny, it went through a bunch of family and friends. My brother bought it almost new from a guy who never rode it. After a couple of years he sold it to a friend of ours. I got it for my (then) wife, I had traded her XJ650 in on an RZ350 for me so she wanted another bike. Traded a Pontiac Phoenix to the friend for it. Somehow I ended up with it in the divorce. (She got a bunch of the other bikes. ) After that the guy I rented a room from bought from me, then I bought it back, finally he bought it for good.
                  '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I have gotten much older, which beats the alternative.But no more big bikes for me.The joy of riding returned when i stopped riding goldwings,ventures,and ultras. I no longer have to wrestle with them in parking lots or just going to the store.if i drop a lighter bike i can pick it back up by myself.I dont tour crosscountry anymore and I dont think I was ever as happy when i went long distance on my 83 venture as i did the same on my vulcan 800.
                    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
                      Iam a kz guy of sorts.A friend of mine and i are making an 80 model kz 1000 into a cafe racer. I have 3 frames,3 motors,1 rolling chassis,1 complete bike.I prefer the gs bikes, but i also love the z bikes. The kz 750 has a great story. If you already know this sorry. But when the honda cb 750 came out in 1969 the kz 750 was going to be kawasakis big surprise.Honda beat them to it. So kawasaki went back to the drawing board and came out with the mighty z1. A true classic just like the cb. Then a year or 2 later, whenever the kz 750 was released it was the actual bike kawasaki had planned on showing. it is a great bike also. Unfortunately those 2 bikes are what killed the immediate success of the GS bikes. They were an also ran more or less by the time they came out. Having ridden all 3, i still prefer the GS. A person would be right no matter which bike he chose in my opinion.
                      Not sure that is quite accurate. Yes, Kawasaki was planning its own 4 cylinder 750 when Honda came out with theirs so they went back to drawing board and produced the 903cc Z1 in 1972/3. Great bike. Then they produced a smaller 4 cylinder in the form of the KZ650 in 1976. That same year they produced a 750 twin cylinder that was sold in the US. The 4 cylinder 750 didn't come out until 1979 and it was based on the KZ650. To be sure, there was a 4-cylinder 750 in 1973, but it was only offered in Japan and was known as the Z2. That may have been the original design that "got scrapped" when Honda beat Kawasaki to the punch in 1969. Though beaten to the punch in 1969, IMHO Kawasaki got the better of them with the delayed Z1.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Always liked these bikes...http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1...-750-111076890

Sent the guy an email.

The KZ650 had a similar paint scheme in 1977 and 78 on the C variety. Moondust silver on the 77 and metallic stardust silver on the 1978. I believe that is the same color that was also one of the offerings on the KZ1000 Z1-R. Not enamored with that color but it sure wouldn't keep me from buying the bike though. It was one of the choices I was considering when I bought my GS. Hope you get him to a price you will be happy with. Post some pics if you buy it, please.

Comment

Back in 1982, Motorcyclist did a comparison test of the following bikes:

KZ750A
                          GS750E
                          CB750F
                          XJ750R (Seca)
                          V45 Sabre

Overall, they judged the KZ the best in the twisties, followed by (in this order) the XJ, the GS and CB tied, then the V45.

For overall use in everything, they judged the GS the best, followed by the KZ, the CB and XJ tied, then the V45.

I bought Koolaid's KZ750 from him, rode it for a year, then rode it 500 miles to deliver to a friend of mine who owned one back in the day. I liked it very much, but no matter how well the carbs were sync'ed, with properly adjusted valve clearances, and everything else gone over with a fine toothed comb twice (once by koolaid, and again by me), it still had a fairly annoying handlebar buzz at about 4500 rpm, which made it a bit tiresome for long distance riding.

Bike was a lot of fun though.
                          sigpic

SUZUKI:
                          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Yes it did, Griffin. Not sure if I it ever came up, but I tried a couple of things for it. First, I made a home made bar snake and put it in the bars. Plastic tubing filled with silicone. Then I put some Manic Salamander bar ends on it. The goal, of course, was to move the vibrations to a different frequency. It helped, but the vibration was always there. I figured it was just part of the beast.
                            It was still a great bike, and I enjoyed riding it around town. Much easier to handle than the GS I replaced it with.

Comment

Originally posted by winfield View Post
                              Not sure that is quite accurate. Yes, Kawasaki was planning its own 4 cylinder 750 when Honda came out with theirs so they went back to drawing board and produced the 903cc Z1 in 1972/3. Great bike. Then they produced a smaller 4 cylinder in the form of the KZ650 in 1976. That same year they produced a 750 twin cylinder that was sold in the US. The 4 cylinder 750 didn't come out until 1979 and it was based on the KZ650. To be sure, there was a 4-cylinder 750 in 1973, but it was only offered in Japan and was known as the Z2. That may have been the original design that "got scrapped" when Honda beat Kawasaki to the punch in 1969. Though beaten to the punch in 1969, IMHO Kawasaki got the better of them with the delayed Z1.

What you said is right.the z2 was the original plan as far as I know.The z1 903 was far superior to the cb 750 in my opinion.My 80 kz 1015 we are changing up i would love to keep, it reminds me of my gs 1000 I used to own.But, the 850 I have to work on is enough for me.My friend is the mechanical genius, I am just the buyer of parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X