Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It followed US home dear......after a great trip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It followed US home dear......after a great trip!

After nine years and 50,000 miles I decided to sell our '04 FJR 1300 and find a replacement two-up sport tourer. We have ridden with several guys and gals on big adventure bikes, mostly BMW GS models, and have been impressed with how well these bikes handle twisty roads. They are also very comfortable and have a lot of storage. Since we don't have the financial means to join the BMW club we had to look elsewhere (i.e. Japanese). I know V-Stroms are excellent bikes but I can't get past the looks. Earlier this year a bunch of us were doing some dual sport riding in the Smokies where some of us rented bikes from GSM Motorent in Townsend Tennessee. They had a tricked out Yamaha Super Téneré that I was able to take for a test ride. I liked it and told Dan, the owner, that I would be interested if he ever decided to sell it. He contacted me a while back saying he was going to sell it at the end of the season and we worked a deal.

Tuesday Cathy and I flew into Knoxville where Dan and his wife Debbie picked us up. We did all the paperwork and had a very enjoyable evening at Dan and Debbie's place sitting around a fire drinking beer and wine. We stayed in their rental cabin Tuesday evening before heading out Wednesday morning. We have a friend, Frank Covucci, who used to run AMA Tours and now does a couple tours a year on his own. One of his tours is a Fall Appalachian Mountain Tour we have taken a couple times. I also helped Frank run this tour last year. We scheduled our trip to coincide with Frank's Tour so we could see him and some friends who were on the tour. We met up at the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley where we got a private tour from Dale Walksler and the staff grilled lunch for the tour group (plus us). We rode to our lodging for the next two nights, Nantahala Village. Thursday was a free day for the tour and we spent the day riding some of the best roads around like Hwy. 28, Deal's Gap, and the Cherahola Skyway. Friday we rode to the next stopping point in Bristol Virginia. The route included Hwy. 421 from Mountain City to Bristol which is one of my favorite roads anywhere. Saturday Cathy and I said good bye to our tour friends and headed back toward Chicago. We rode about 220 miles of Hwy. 421 before hitting the interstate in Richmond Kentucky and stayed in Harrison Ohio Friday night. Today we finished our trip home.

The Super Téneré is a fantastic bike but is also quite different than the FJR. It took some getting used to but is very easy to ride and is the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. Our friend Denny followed us up Hwy. 28 and Deal's Gap before stopping at the Deal's Gap overlook. He informed us that we had been showering sparks on Hwy. 28. We also did some peg dragging on Hwy. 421 so I guess you can say I'm used to it already .

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

That thing looks incredible, I am sure you two will have tons of fun!!

1979 GS1000

Comment

Info and Pics!

So, here's the story on the Super Téneré. Dan at GSM Motorent hooked up with the folks at Twisted Throttle a couple years ago to trick out Dan's Super Téneré so it could be used for the mutual benefit of both businesses. Twisted Throttle would take photos and videos of the ST to use on their website and advertise for Dan's place. Dan would rent the bike to customers and advertise for Twisted Throttle. The agreement was that after a year Dan could keep all the parts. The bike was displayed at some shows as well as at Twisted Throttle's open house. Here's a link to Twisted Throttle's Super Téneré web page with a few videos of the bike.

Here is a list of the accessories included on the ST:

-SW Motech TRAX EVO ALU-BOX 38 Liter Top Trunk
      -SW Motech TRAX EVO ALU-BOX 45 Liter Side Cases
      -SW Motech Quick Lock Side Carrier Rack
      -Denali D2 LED Lighting kit
      -SW Motech Crash Bars
      -SW motech Skid Plate
      -R&G Front Axle Sliders
      -Bags Connection EVO Quick Lock Tank Bag with 12 volt power ring
      -MRA Vario Touring Windshield with Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade
      -SW Motech Handlebar Risers
      -SW Motech Mirror Wideners
      -Barkbusters VPS Handguards
      -R&G Heated grips with 5 level controller

Twisted Throttle also painted the bike and applied graphics. Dan added some GSM Motorent graphics as well. I'm perfectly happy leaving the graphics on and advertising for both of these businesses.

And, of course, here are some obligatory pics of the bike after we got it home and I gave it a quick wash:

Thanks,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Sounds like a great time.
        Enjoy your new ride!!

Comment

That's one damn fine looking motorcycle, Joe.

And I thought I decided on a Tiger explorer XC...now I have to start all over again...

Comment

Nice going Joe. Sounds like a great trip! I gotta ride an adventure bike someday.
            No signature

Comment

Joe, that looks like fun and well sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
                That's one damn fine looking motorcycle, Joe.

And I thought I decided on a Tiger explorer XC...now I have to start all over again...
                The Tiger would be an excellent choice, especially if most of your riding is one-up. It would probably be fine for two-up as well but I wanted more power and room since a lot of my riding is two-up. The ST doesn't have nearly as much horsepower as the FJR but equal torque so it does fine two-up and fully loaded.

Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                  The Tiger would be an excellent choice, especially if most of your riding is one-up. It would probably be fine for two-up as well but I wanted more power and room since a lot of my riding is two-up. The ST doesn't have nearly as much horsepower as the FJR but equal torque so it does fine two-up and fully loaded.

Joe
                  I suspect the tiger I'm talking about would do alright two-up. On paper, it's virtually tit-for-tat with the Tenere (except for an extra cylinder and a little more hp/torque), except the Tenere is around 4K less...that buys a lot of farkles...

This one:

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
                    I suspect the tiger I'm talking about would do alright two-up. On paper, it's virtually tit-for-tat with the Tenere (except for an extra cylinder and a little more hp/torque), except the Tenere is around 4K less...that buys a lot of farkles...

This one:
                    Sorry, I didn't read completely. I didn't see the word 'Explorer' in your earlier post. I thought you were referring to the 800cc Tiger, not the 1200cc version. Coincidentally, Dan at GSM Motorent now has an Explorer tricked out by Twisted Throttle.........

Thanks,
                    Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

That is a fantastic looking bike. Congratulations!

Comment

Nice... Cathy like the extra case space? Comfy passenger perch? Seems like it would be.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          Nice... Cathy like the extra case space? Comfy passenger perch? Seems like it would be.
                          Dan,

Yes, she liked the additional luggage space as it allowed for shopping along the way. She slept more than usual so the passenger accommodations must be suitable....

Joe
                          IBA# 24077
                          '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Working...
                          X