2000 Honda ST1100...opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 Honda ST1100...opinions?

Hello people, I have come across a 2000 Honda ST1100 with 66000kms (40000miles) in what looks like very nice shape. I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about the bike. Maybe what to look for issue wise.
    Anyone here ever owned one?
    Thanks as always,
    Trevor
    No signature

A friend of mine at work rides one. He's got over 100,000 miles on it, and it still starts every time he pushes the button.

It's got an almost automotive feel to it, especially once you get the plastics off and look at the engine. I believe the engine is derived from an actual car engine Honda developed for the Asian market that needed extreme reliability and fuel efficiency and didn't need a lot for power for a small car.

They are pretty bulky motorcycles, much like a Kawasaki Concours. You definitely want to take it for a ride around town first. On the highway, it's exactly what you'd expect. Smooth, powerful enough, and comfortable.

If you're looking for a bike to gobble up highway miles, but not carry the bulk of a full blown touring bike, it's probably a pretty good choice.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

For the money they want for used ST's, I would rather have a 1400 Concours.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
        For the money they want for used ST's, I would rather have a 1400 Concours.
        I'd rather pay twice as much and have the Connie!
        IBA# 12860
        Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
        1984 KZ1100R
        2008 Kawasaki KLR650
        2011 Concours 1400

Comment

I just almost bought one, I thought they would be great. I demoed one 12 years ago, but at the time i thought too much like a goldwing. weighs about 660 lbs.
          I still think thatthey are very touring oriented, good two up bike, really hold there value, but not very exciting or inspiring(?) to ride.
          really well engineered, It would be a good sidecar hauler, low reving big torque automotive style power delivery. No real issues, shim under bucket but the cams are really easy to r&r.
          The one i was looking at had about 40000 km on it , it was a 1991 and he wanted $2700. good luck finding a 1400 concours for that.
          I decided i wasn't quite ready for that type of bike and got a CBR900RR instead.
          Last edited by derwood; 10-19-2013, 10:07 PM.
          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
            Hello people, I have come across a 2000 Honda ST1100 with 66000kms (40000miles) in what looks like very nice shape. I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about the bike. Maybe what to look for issue wise.
            Anyone here ever owned one?
            Thanks as always,
            Trevor
            I owned a 92 ST1100 for 10 years, its designed to gobble up miles in sporting fashion. ST1100's actually handle very well and are superior to the original Kawi ZG1000's. With regular routine maintenance 100K is not the end.

1991-1995 Models: Had Charging problems, 1996 & up models received upgraded alternator. The ST have timing belts just like a Honda Civic or Accord (Replace @ 60K). Driveshaft requires similar maintenance to BMW's
            Bucket & Shims maintenance. Stock Seats never changed and are poor.
            The ST Forum has wealth of information

1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
            Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Thanks guys, even you Glenn. I don't have the cash for a newer connie and this guy could be willing to take my WR400f in partial trade. I'm thinking about getting something smaller (250) as I'm mostly just puttin around with my son.
              Here is the ad

No signature

Comment

It does look nice. Is it here in Vancouver?

Need someone to look at it in person?
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                  Thanks guys, even you Glenn. I don't have the cash for a newer Connie and this guy could be willing to take my WR400f in partial trade. I'm thinking about getting something smaller (250) as I'm mostly just puttin around with my son.
                  If you get this thing, well, I have to admit I found some great roads in southern Washington to ride! Then there is more to find in Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Utah, Nevada, and on and on...

It looks like it has a Corbin seat and a larger than stock windshield. That would help quite a bit.
                  IBA# 12860
                  Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                  1984 KZ1100R
                  2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                  2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Here is a 2001 Concours at a comparable price:

'83 GS650G
                    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

"The Netherlands police force dropped their ST1300s in 2009 because of negative reports from the UK police, who found a high-speed wobble in their ST1300s over 90 MPH. This might have been due to user error in loading the saddlebags, or perhaps it is an ST design flaw."
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

My friend had an ST, 1300 I think?
                        Smooth, heavy, boring. Fast and powerful, but it just didnt inspire me much.
                        But then again, I'm kinda picky.
                        It was about 17 times better than the Concours.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                          I owned a 92 ST1100 for 10 years, its designed to gobble up miles in sporting fashion. ST1100's actually handle very well and are superior to the original Kawi ZG1000's. With regular routine maintenance 100K is not the end.

1991-1995 Models: Had Charging problems, 1996 & up models received upgraded alternator. The ST have timing belts just like a Honda Civic or Accord (Replace @ 60K). Driveshaft requires similar maintenance to BMW's
                          Bucket & Shims maintenance. Stock Seats never changed and are poor.
                          The ST Forum has wealth of information

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/foru...73-ST1100-Tech
                          Looks a lot like mine. Great bike for chewing up big gobs of asphalt. Mine has 110,000 mi. on it right now. I replaced the timing belt @ 90,000 mi which is what the book recommended.
                          I have to say it the most trouble free bike I have ever owned. Just change oil and filter every 5,000 miles and forget about it. Mine is a 1993 model, but I have never had charging issues with it.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I say go for it Trevor. Then maybe you can join me in some friendly Iron Butt Competition next summer. Maybe we can get eddie21 off his "Butt" to join in too. (Pun intended)
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I almost bought one here in NH, test rode it from a private seller. One word describes it best... boring. It's not real fast, it's not a great handler, it's got no soul. I really wanted to like it too.
                              Currently bikeless
                              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                              X