Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW R Nine T

Anyone see this new BMW, R Nine T?

Standard riding position, air/oil cooled, conventional fork, round head light and spoke wheels.

88 ft.lbs. of torque and 490 lbs.

And of course BMW price too.

Not my thing but the bike can be converted to a club racer type looking tail section very easily.

Just gotta find a gig in a country with some paved roads.

First I've seen of it. Thanks for sharing. I like the looks a lot. Never spent much time on their boxer motors so don't know how they compare to the sweet, buttery smooth Japanese inline fours.
    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

I'm more inclined to buy the new FZ-09. I like a triple. More power than a Honda 919, lighter than an SV650. It might make a light weight tourer, with some Givi bags on it.

The BMW is kind of neat, and probably not that much slower.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
        First I've seen of it. Thanks for sharing. I like the looks a lot. Never spent much time on their boxer motors so don't know how they compare to the sweet, buttery smooth Japanese inline fours.
        Just as smooth, more torque, less top end kick. Better gas mileage. Easier maintenance.

They last longer, too.

That perticular beemer does nothing for me.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

BMW added counter balances to the twin when it grew to its current size. I rode a pre-balancer 1150. An odd vibration compared to inline fours but not objectionable.

I suppose with a few mods I could get my GS1000 over the 90 ft.lb. mark at a fraction of the BMW price. And I wouldn't have to have the crazy gold anodized forks either.

Seems like a move toward a more classic look for BMW. Probably a good move but I guess we'll see how they sell.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Just as smooth, more torque, less top end kick. Better gas mileage. Easier maintenance.

They last longer, too.

That perticular beemer does nothing for me.
            This might be the last year or so for the air/oil engine. Not that water cooling is evil, but air cooled bikes are just more familiar.

Kind of like pushrod V8 engines.

Comment

Why couldn't they have gone with a 2-1 exhaust that doesn't mask the SSSA?

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                I'm more inclined to buy the new FZ-09. I like a triple...
                I'm pretty excited about the FZ-09. I could see adding one of these to the garage in a few years. They're pretty cheap new so I'm hoping used prices will be very reasonable. Until the FZ-09 I lusted after a Triumph Street Triple R, but the FZ-09 is has everything the Street Triple R has and more, for less $$$.

I don't know what this new BMW will cost, but I'll bet you can buy 3 FZ-09s for the same money.
                Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

I'm pretty excited about the FZ-09. I could see adding one of these to the garage in a few years. They're pretty cheap new so I'm hoping used prices will be very reasonable. Until the FZ-09 I lusted after a Triumph Street Triple R, but the FZ-09 is has everything the Street Triple R has and more, for less $$$.

I don't know what this new BMW will cost, but I'll bet you can buy 3 FZ-09s for the same money.
                  I'm thinking along the same lines, though I'm afraid the tank isn't quite big enough for sport touring.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                    I'm thinking along the same lines, though I'm afraid the tank isn't quite big enough for sport touring.
                    Yeah, that's the shame of it. But if it gets the claimed mileage it would be about on par with my Bandit. And I, unfortunately, do not get tour coast-to-coast so being forced to stop every 150-180 miles for fuel is not terrible. In fact, most of the time I'm riding with people on some rather old GS's, so we stop pretty often anyway

Comment

I didn't see a link to the r9T:

Officially official now, BMW Motorrad has taken the wraps off its new BMW R nineT cafe racer motorcycle. Helping the German brand celebrate 90 years of building motorcycles, the nineT is an air-cooled homage to BMW’s rich motorcycling past. Based around the iconic 1,170cc air-cooled boxer engine that BMW has

'83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                        I didn't see a link to the r9T:

Officially official now, BMW Motorrad has taken the wraps off its new BMW R nineT cafe racer motorcycle. Helping the German brand celebrate 90 years of building motorcycles, the nineT is an air-cooled homage to BMW’s rich motorcycling past. Based around the iconic 1,170cc air-cooled boxer engine that BMW has

Could loose the rear seat treatment but yeah, it's a lot closer to what I think of as a motorcycle than most BMWs.

FI and ABS are OK by me too.

Also could stand a few more beans, but 88 ft.lbs and 490 lbs. ain't too bad.

Not many takers on this forum. Hard to justify the price of five or more GS bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
                          Also could stand a few more beans, but 88 ft.lbs and 490 lbs. ain't too bad.

Not many takers on this forum. Hard to justify the price of five or more GS bikes.
                          98hp - 71 ft lbs - 458lbs.... In my garage right now...and it will be for sale 'cause I don't like it.
                          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                            98hp - 71 ft lbs - 458lbs.... In my garage right now...and it will be for sale 'cause I don't like it.
                            A buddy in CO bought an RS very similar to yours and came to the same conclusion.

Not really sure why. Big enough for normal size humans, Good running gear and well engineered...

But yeah, those bikes might just appeal to another group I guess.

Just makes it easier for me to justify an 1176/1238 upgrade to the GS1000 and continue to pass on the modern bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
                              A buddy in CO bought an RS very similar to yours and came to the same conclusion.

Not really sure why. Big enough for normal size humans, Good running gear and well engineered...

But yeah, those bikes might just appeal to another group I guess.

Just makes it easier for me to justify an 1176/1238 upgrade to the GS1000 and continue to pass on the modern bikes.
                              Don't get me wrong, I love modern bikes...The two K1100RSes I had were awesome...
                              And my '01 Triumph is so much fun...The Trophy 900 I just got appears to be just the ticket...
                              But this bike...Just never inspired confidence and the motor doesn't do it for me....
                              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                              X