My first Italian (Guzzi Lemans)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first Italian (Guzzi Lemans)

I always wanted one of these and I snatch this one up a couple of weeks ago from a guy in NH.

This is a MkII and not the more collectible MkI and its a CX100 (1000cc vs. 850cc) which they only made about 750 in total. Its got about 15,000 miles on it, it fires right up, and doesn't smoke.

Not sure if its going to stay all original. Lots of owners change up the front fairing to the MkI which I might do since the front fairing on this one is a bit beat up. The electrical needs to be sorted because it won't charge the battery and it needs a lot of elbow grease and polish since it appears it spent a good deal time outdoors. Other than that it seems to be in pretty good shape.

My dad has a couple Moto Guzzi's, he has a 77 850 LeMans, and a 01 Jackel 1100. I rode the Jackel about 1500 miles a couple years ago. He calls it his " Big jugged , vibrating, Italian whore". I thought it was a pretty good ride, and got alot smoother after 70mph
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Fun bikes...
      El G

Comment

Originally posted by Battleship62 View Post
        I always wanted one of these and I snatch this one up a couple of weeks ago from a guy in NH.

This is a MkII and not the more collectible MkI and its a CX100 (1000cc vs. 850cc) which they only made about 750 in total. Its got about 15,000 miles on it, it fires right up, and doesn't smoke.

Not sure if its going to stay all original. Lots of owners change up the front fairing to the MkI which I might do since the front fairing on this one is a bit beat up. The electrical needs to be sorted because it won't charge the battery and it needs a lot of elbow grease and polish since it appears it spent a good deal time outdoors. Other than that it seems to be in pretty good shape.

I like it, looks are little weathered but that makes it rider. Moto Guzzi's are built to last and easy to work on too. What year . . . 1979 - 1981? I have also eyed the early-mid 1980's Lemans 1000 which actually had good street performance comparable to a GS1000 2V
        1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
        Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
          I like it, looks are little weathered but that makes it rider. Moto Guzzi's are built to last and easy to work on too. What year . . . 1979 - 1981? I have also eyed the early-mid 1980's Lemans 1000 which actually had good street performance comparable to a GS1000 2V
          This spicy meatball is a 1981.

Comment

Nice Guzzi! I have always really like these.
            1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Such a complete example, I would vote (if I had a vote ) for keeping it all original as you said there were only 750 of them made. Parts might be a hard find for this one though unless they have a lot of parts bin stuff on them from other years/models.
              "Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

Originally posted by RageZro View Post
                Such a complete example, I would vote (if I had a vote ) for keeping it all original as you said there were only 750 of them made. Parts might be a hard find for this one though unless they have a lot of parts bin stuff on them from other years/models.
                I was actually thinking about restoring it as original since I have all the parts and pieces there, then taking off the front fairing and converting it to the MkI look but just changing up the front fairing. That way if I ever had to sell it, I would have the ability (or the buyer) to sell it as original or as with the MkI fairing.

Of course that is assuming I would ever sell it. My son (age 16 ) assumes he's getting all my bikes someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Battleship62 View Post
                  Of course that is assuming I would ever sell it. My son (age 16 ) assumes he's getting all my bikes someday.
                  Don't they all! But isn't it funny how when we think of them riding them in the traffic nowadays it seems a little different than when we think about going for a ride?

Glad you're leaning in the direction of maintaining it as an original example!
                  "Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

Working...
                  X