Revealed! 2014 Harley-Davidson Street 500 & 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revealed! 2014 Harley-Davidson Street 500 & 750

Cycle World Article: Harley-Davidson took the wraps off its first all-new model in 13 years: the 2014 Street, which will be available as a 500 and a 750 when it goes on sale in the U.S. this spring, priced at $6,700 and $7,500 respectively. In short, the new Street is a liquid-cooled bike aimed at young urban buyers around the world, a model that Mark-Hans Richer, Harley’s senior vice president and chief marketing officer, called “our path to the future.” Given that heady responsibility, the attractively priced Street—which will be built at Harley plants in Kansas City (for the U.S., Canada and Mexico) and India (the rest of the world)—deserves a close look.

1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Nice move HD. Victory really needs to take note!

As a former Victory owner, I always thought they were missing the entry level market share that HD enjoyed with their 883 and 1200 Sportsters.

And now......HD is taking another step ahead. Not sure what Victory is waiting for?

Comment

Well Rich....maybe Victory is waiting for HONDA to sell them their next batch of left over SHADOWS for pennies on the dollar and rework them..which is all Harley did here. Nothing exciting to see here folks!!!! Its just a Honda in disquise.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I don't think HD is looking for approval from either the HD haters or the hardcore HD guys.

They are simply adjusting to capture a different market......... I think it is a good business move.

Comment

Yes its a great business move when you buy thousands of already made parts and rebadge them for yourself. My point is that its not a Harley at heart..its a bunch of bastardised Honda parts tranformed.

Saw an article that was sne to me from one of the mags that I am on a newsletter list but i deleted the email. If I had it I would repost it so you could read all about the deal they made with Honda to buy up all the left over Shadows.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Interesting...

Chuck, I'm sure you can google it and find all the info on what you describe.
            I did, but nothing came up.

Are you making up stuff again?
            Last edited by Octain; 11-09-2013, 06:49 PM.
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Why does the front wheel stick out so far ?
              Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
              Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
              1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                Why does the front wheel stick out so far ?
                I noticed that too. The rake is goofy looking.
                And what does a 500cc twin make, like 19hp?
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                .................________-|___\____
                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I hope Harley does well with these but I really wonder how and if it will work out. The dealers and current customers will really going to need an attitude adjustment if they're going to attract new customers. They'll have to get away from the mentality that if it ain't bigger than 1200 Sportster it's just a girls bike. I don't know if it's an in house motor or not but I highly doubt it's Honda engine. The Honda specs with regard the angle of the V, numbers of valves per cylinder as well as bore and stroke are all quite a bit different. The Harley surprisingly is a actually a short stroke motor.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                    I noticed that too. The rake is goofy looking.
                    Probably if it's a harly.

Jap bike would be 50 something. But it would have to wind up to unhardly like RPMs, too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

why ( or how could I ) make that up with the information being exactly those CC bikes??? In any case I dont need to "make stuff up" for you or anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                        I hope Harley does well with these but I really wonder how and if it will work out. The dealers and current customers will really going to need an attitude adjustment if they're going to attract new customers. They'll have to get away from the mentality that if it ain't bigger than 1200 Sportster it's just a girls bike. I don't know if it's an in house motor or not but I highly doubt it's Honda engine. The Honda specs with regard the angle of the V, numbers of valves per cylinder as well as bore and stroke are all quite a bit different. The Harley surprisingly is a actually a short stroke motor.
                        The first thing that struck me was the 52 degree V of the Honda vs. the 60 degree V of the Harley. The second was the declared weight of the Honda 750 at 536 wet vs. the Harley declared weight of 480 pounds wet. Rear drum brake for the Honda vs. disc for the Harley. Mags vs. spokes. 79.0x76.0 bore/stroke vs. 85.0x66.0, 3 valves per cylinder vs. 4, etc.
                        The manufacture of the parts vs. the assembly of the machine does seem confusing, though. The article I read stated they would be built in Kansas City for the U.S. and Canada, vs. India for the rest of the world. However, from what I can glean from the first articles, the word built should be substituted by the word assembled, a far different meaning altogether.
                        Chuck, if you could find that article, it would be great.

Comment

Does that mean that their tattoos and ol' lady's butts will be smaller, too?

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            Yes its a great business move when you buy thousands of already made parts and rebadge them for yourself. My point is that its not a Harley at heart..its a bunch of bastardised Honda parts tranformed.

Saw an article that was sne to me from one of the mags that I am on a newsletter list but i deleted the email. If I had it I would repost it so you could read all about the deal they made with Honda to buy up all the left over Shadows.
                            Honda parts? Honda the world's best maker of cars? Honda the world's largest producer of MCs sine the lat 1950s?

GO HONDA!!!?

Better a sister on a re-badged Honda than a sister caught up in a terrible one percenters cliche.

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                              The ex500 has 60 hp, with an ancient motor design. They recently stopped making them cause nobody wants a five hundred, I guess?

1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                              X