Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to beat a guy down

I say 1500 max your opinions laddies?

Nah, someone will pay it. I got $18 or so for one much worse than that. For some strange reason, some people actually like them.

No accounting for taste I guess. Or lack of.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I only think of them in terms of long distance voyageuring with good protection for the rider.

Time to gas up the truck and head west I guess got to get my french friend to *** him down a bit

Comment

Well, it appears to be in good condition. 87,000 miles to us 'Mericans. Tires appear O.K., fully bagged, 17 years old. If no 2nd gear issues, why not? Big, heavy, comfortable for long rides. Perhaps Steve can give a more accurate assessment.

Comment

Well I found a fixxer upper. Odd looking knee insertes on the tank but glossy and sort of low mileage.

Comment

1988 Kawasaki Concours 1000 - $1500 (TASWELL INDIANA)

Runs and Rides great! Comes with hardbags that can be removed quick for a more sporty look. Just not my thing!! Call or Text (812)613-0397
            Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
            87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
            99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
            15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
              I only think of them in terms of long distance voyageuring with good protection for the rider.

Time to gas up the truck and head west I guess got to get my french friend to *** him down a bit
              so the word j e w is not allowed?
              hmmm

Comment

Jew is allowed of course. I did not use that word.

Comment

i do not speak Canadian so i have no idea then :0

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    Perhaps Steve can give a more accurate assessment.
                    Perhaps if it were in a language that Steve could read.

The link sent me to a page full of ads, I don't read French , and I was not going to take the time to compare pictures, etc. Sorry.

As I understand it, the '86 Connies (the first year) and possibly the first few '87s had problems with the starter chain snapping. Basically, the igniter would hiccup, and the backfire would snap the starter chain. If that happened, you had to split the cases to replace it. As far as I know, there were no further events with a new chain and a replacement igniter.

Other than that, there were subtle refinements up through the last year they were made, which I think was 2006. There were so few drastic changes made over the years, many of the parts from the early bikes could still be used on the newer ones, and vice versa.

Many of the guys that I talked to that had one said it was a bit top-heavy, especially at low speeds, but that feeling diappeared by the time you were moving faster than a quick walk. It weighed about 595 pounds, or about 25 pounds less than a GS1100GK. It also had a 7.4 gallon gas tank to really stretch out its range.

You can do some of your own reading on it by clicking HERE.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Having ridden one, I can report that the top heaviness is a non-issue for anyone who can actually ride a bike at all competently. I was far more distracted by the frame-mounted fairing. I enjoyed the bike, but they're not for everyone. I pretty seriously considered making a naked bagger out of one. Can't do that to the new 1400.

The Concours Owners Group forum knows about as much about those bikes as we know about the GS.

The later models do have improved brakes over the older ones (same calipers as used in the SaltyMonk twin pot upgrade for the GS). The one in the OP has the later brakes.

Based on that one pic, $1500 doesn't seem bad.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

C-10

The Kawasaki C-10 is my second rig after my 83 GS1100E. It's great long distance touring machine. Having a 20 year production run with all used parts at reasonable prices. Being an avid rider with low budget the 1986-2006 C-10 makes a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                        X