Any experience/opinions re SV1000's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any experience/opinions re SV1000's ?

Anybody here have/had one or ridden one? Impressions? Good, bad, even indifferent opinions welcome. Looking at this 2003 SV1000S. Does price seem reasonable at $3K asking?
    Thanks.

Last edited by Frank Z.; 11-09-2013, 11:25 PM.
    '80 GS1000ST
    '92 ZX-11
    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

The thing sure did get my attention, Frank. I thought about making an offer, but not for long, as I need another bike like a hole in the head.

Comment

Looks like an amazing deal Frank. Might need some bar raisers to improve the riding position though.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Wazz doesn't get on the GSR much anymore but he has one and seems to like it a lot. I have the SV650 and love it, 3 years plus and not bored with it yet.
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

A friend owns one. It's quick, lots of low-end and midrange grunt, and reliable. It's not as nimble as the sv650, and I'm too old to be comfortable in that rider triangle for long. $3K seems pretty reasonable, depending on mileage and condition.

Comment

Thought I remember reading somewhere that the front cylinder suffers from potentially catastrophic oil deprivation if the rider rides a lot of wheelies.

Or maybe that was the TL1000? Not 100% sure on that one.

Comment

I'm considering a SV1000 myself, or the SV650 because I see like ten SV650s listed for every SV1000.
              Been getting annoyed by the 0 torque from a standing stop I get from my GSX750F.
              Looks like they got all the torque I like about my GS1100G, but weigh 100lb less.
              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 07-02-2015, 11:53 AM.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Half the novice class at Loudon probably use the SV650 as their track bikes. Good low end to jet out of the curves on that twisty course. I tested one out a few years ago. Great bike except it was too cramped for my legs for day to day stuff. I bought the wee Strom with basically the same engine but in a nice all around package for any type of riding in comfort. The SV1000 might be unneeded power for the streets and most daily riding.

Comment

Yeah, looks like the SV650 is THE favorite track/race bike.
                  I was afraid it ain't got enough power on the straights because that's where a putz on a big bike will pass, then slow poke through the curves with you stuck behind 'em.
                  So Lurch your Strom is a 650? Seems you like it.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                    Yeah, looks like the SV650 is THE favorite track/race bike.
                    I was afraid it ain't got enough power on the straights because that's where a putz on a big bike will pass, then slow poke through the curves with you stuck behind 'em.
                    So Lurch your Strom is a 650? Seems you like it.
                    Pretty much take that SV650 engine out and put into the vStrom frame and package with a little tuning and gearing mod and you have a great commuter, x-country, mildly off road bike that will climb the mountain passes with all your camping gear...and a passenger if you can fit her on too.
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2015, 11:50 AM.

Comment

It's got low end torque, that's what the 90º V can do.

Comment

IMO, the SV1000 is a great street bike. Good power, handles well, lots of fun. Don't confuse it with the 650 though. They feel very different. Both are great bikes, just in different ways.
                        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Working...
                        X