Shocks--Unforseen Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocks--Unforseen Issue

I'm upgrading the shocks on my Z1--1975 Kawasaki 900. Taking original shocks off and installing Hagons. I am keeping the original chrome shocks with reflector and storing them in the event I want to return it to stock.

Should be a 30-45 minute job--even though this is my first time. One side went on no problem. The other side is presenting an issue. I have a 4 into 1 Kerker header and so the bottom mounting bolt of the shock won't clear the end of the pipe. Loosened the pipe mount at the end but haven't been able to move pipe out far enough to clear the bolt. Also, don't want to create exhaust leaks trying.

There are two solutions that appear to me.
    1. Take the clamp off of where the megaphone end mounts on to the 4-into-one pipe and slide megaphone off pipe. This sounds simple but having worked on plenty of car exhausts there is always a problem getting the old unstuck and then reclamping without an exhaust leak resulting.
    OR
    2. Loosen the exhaust collars and flanges at the engine and try to get enough clearance to clear the bolt in the bottom shock mount.

Which of these two solutions is less likely to cause an exhaust leak after all the loosening, pulling, and wiggling is over?

Or is there a better way to accomplish my goal?

If the can comes off the header do that. No need in loosening the exhaust gaskets at the head if avoidable.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Shocks

Will the wheel move up into the fender well with both the top mounts undone, giving you more clearance???
      1981 GS 1000GLX.
      1981 GS 1000G.
      1981 GS 650GLX.
      1975 TS 185.
      1972 100. Kawasaki.
      1968 100. Suzuki.
      1970 Z 50. Honda.
      1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
      1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Up or down should work.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by habsdoc View Post
          Will the wheel move up into the fender well with both the top mounts undone, giving you more clearance???
          And Tkent... that would be the ticket if it works.

If not, I'll give Chuck's suggestion a shot. The less stuff I have to mess with the better.

Comment

The rule of thumb at the VW restoration shop was to always do the most difficult and hardest to reach fastener before any of the others. If one side has an obstruction and the other does not, do the obstructed one first.
            In disassembly, it means you get the bad one out of the way and the rest of the job is easy. In assembly it means you have the most 'wiggle' to get the tough one in before you tighten things up the rest of the way around.

And never be afraid to do work. 10 minutes of removing 3 other parts can save you an hour of fighting with tight clearances.

Comment

either way, no big deal, i think. i take the yosh exhaust off the gs all the time for oil changes.
              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by habsdoc View Post
                This was the cats meow

Disconnected the top mounts of both shocks and lifted the wheel up until bottom mount cleared the exhaust pipe. Didn't take long to finish the job after that.

Unfortunately, didn't have time to take the bike for a spin before I had to be somewhere and by the time I got back home it was raining. Supposed to get cold too, so it may be a few days or so until I get to try out those new Hagon shocks.

Thanks for the advice. It made the job painless.

Comment

Shocks

You are welcome. As usual, someone on this form in one way or another will come up with the best and easiest way of getting the job done. Enjoy your new suspension, and do post back on your post ride results.
                  1981 GS 1000GLX.
                  1981 GS 1000G.
                  1981 GS 650GLX.
                  1975 TS 185.
                  1972 100. Kawasaki.
                  1968 100. Suzuki.
                  1970 Z 50. Honda.
                  1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                  1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Took the bike out for a 1 1/2 hr. ride yesterday--didn't realize it was 33 degrees F. What was I thinking?! Hands got numb and then began to hurt, and that's after buying winter gloves.

Any way, the suspension is butter smooth over normal riding conditions, bumps, etc. Big improvement over the original. Still hits fairly hard on couple of the spots that I regularly ride over but that is due to the ridge that crosses the entire lane.

I couldn't really get on it through the twisties because I was too cold to be comfortable with my riding. But it sure seemed like the handling was much improved.

Comment

Working...
                    X