My "new" project Yamaha 125 twin dirt track racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "new" project Yamaha 125 twin dirt track racer

Rescued a 1969 Yamaha AS-1 125 twin that is mostly in boxes as it was set to go to the local landfill.
    The cool part is it has the complete factory GYT kit for dirt track or road racing with it. The engine was assembled in 1970 using the cylinders, heads, magneto, crank, amal carbs, dry clutch, and 7 speed transmission from the GYT kit. The crank is set up as a "twingle" in that it has both pistons firing at the same time like two singles using a common crank. They vibrated more that way but got much better drive out of corners with more torque.
    The bike was being assembled by the nephew of a friend when he died in an accident. The bike was stuffed into the rafters at his uncles in around 1973 and forgot about. The motor was assembled but never started.
    I was helping clear out one of the out buildings with my friend's widow when we found the bike. It was one of those take it or load it to haul to the dump deals...

picture of the fiberglass bodywork

Comment

Cool! Looks to be fairly clean under the years of dust. Are you going dirt or street with it..?
      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I feel that this one found me to be the caretaker of another racers legacy. It is set up to be a short tracker and will stay that way.
        Shouldn't take a lot to get it running, as most of the pieces are there. Anything missing will come from a couple of friends or my parts stashes. When finished it will be donated to the national motorcycle museum in Sturgis SD (after a few laps on the Sturgis Short track. I still have my steel shoe)

Comment

That's cool. Good on you! May it all go well, and run sweet when done.
          '07 Yamaha TTR 250 - Exercycle.
          '95 Ducati 900 SL - Duclattery
          '81 Suzuki/Yoshi GSX1135 ET/X - Yoshi
          '84 Suzuki McIntosh - Mac
          '74 Yamaha YZ125A - pain in the rrr's...

Comment

That is very cool! Good find! The bodywork looks like Champion stuff. Enjoy your project. A "twingled" 2 stroke twin... How cool is that!

Comment

Awesome. Great project and rescue. Can't wait to see some video of that baby. We want step by step pics and updates!
              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Ok you definitely have to do this... and I definitely have to tune in to the build

When you do the few laps, we want video too!
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Moving ahead with this. Rooting through my spares crates has yielded a Champion fork brace for Betor forks and a call to Mickey Dymond got a set of Kosman trees, and the correct rear brake pedal donated. A couple of local guys promised the proper yellow number plates, Magura dirt track bars, clutch lever-perch combo, and a early spool throttle assembly.
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2013, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Your find, and plans for it are unbelievably cool. Good luck, and keep us posted
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

What a cool little bike. I used to love the sound of those little twins with the stock 180 degree crank. Those open chambers will be LOUD! My brother had a DT1 and a Bultaco Pursang with un-muffled stingers. Loud!!
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                      X