Fell in my lap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fell in my lap...

Was on ebay, was tipped off by a FB friend that it was in Dallas. Ended up being 10 minutes from my house. Been on the hunt for one for quite some time, never expected to land the Canadian version which is a difficult color scheme to find hear in the states. Bike has 28,00 Km's or 17k miles. Complete with a milk crate full of extra parts.

86 Yamaha FZ 750

Last edited by Guest; 11-26-2013, 08:59 AM.

Looks very clean, Joe. Great to have the stock pipes.
    Is it a '86?
    Does it have a chin scoop?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      Looks very clean, Joe. Great to have the stock pipes.
      Is it a '86?
      Does it have a chin scoop?
      Steve,

Yes an 86, no chin scoop but came with a bunch of extra plastics. Basically a complete non runner with a clean title.

Comment

Subbed.....

can't wait to see this rebuild....going to get some good ideas and use them on mine...LOL

dibs on the extra parts....LOL

Comment

Well it looks like Mr. GK has started a trend. First him, then me now you. Who's next I wonder?

It's not a super popular bike over here, more so in Limeyland, Europe and Japan so its unusual when they pop up.

That one looks to be in very good shape and its surprising that it would be a non runner. Is there any indication of what the issue might be if its anything other than the 'usual"?

What plans do you have for it? Like GK I'll be following along with interest.

Good luck with it.

Comment

This one looks good and with a spare motor....for only a grand.
            I wish my pockets weren't empty.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

That's a 5 valve motorcycle... and would love to find one myself; that, or it's bigger 1000cc bro. Pure Sports! Nice score, Joe.
              '80 GS1000ST
              '92 ZX-11
              Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                This one looks good and with a spare motor....for only a grand.
                I wish my pockets weren't empty.

http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-cars...AdIdZ545240765
                That is funny....I was looking at this bike and haggling with the guy....

he started at 1500, dropped it to 1200, I offered him 900, and now he wants a grand...LOL

maybe I should offer him now 700 and he will take my 900 offer....SOLD...

sorry about the hijack there Joe

Comment

Found the bike on ebay. Dirt cheap. Great pickup. Deals like that are RARE out my way.

What's the plan for this one Joe? Make a bookend for your GS700?
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Great looking bike, Joe..I, like all the rest will be looking forward to your "plan" for this one. I really like the mid-80's Yamahas.
                    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Well it should be an entertaining winter with 2 FZ projects on the go. I've got a couple of things planned including forming a new windscreen so I'll likely chime in too.

These are really nice and powerful "little" bikes and go like a rocket when cranked. Very entertaining.

Generally, they are easy to work on but with a few quirks, like bucket and shim valves (and 20 of them at that) and carbs at a strange angle that preclude getting to the air-mixture screws when they are mounted. They are easier to take off than the GS carbs, mind you, with the perimeter frame and no central backbone.

Being a narrow engine, the bike is slimmer and more comfortable for the legs but the forward lean to the bars can be tiring on the wrist, arms and back if you are not used to those ergos. I am going to have to work my upper body over the winter to be ready for it next season.

My only other gripe is that the fairing mounted mirrors are great for displaying your shoulders and nothing much else. I am still working on extensions and while I have achieved some improvement, they look like hell and still aren't the greatest. Unlike friend GK, I like to see behind me so I'll be working on that over the winter too.

Overall I think you will enjoy it.
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-26-2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Found the bike on ebay. Dirt cheap. Great pickup. Deals like that are RARE out my way.

What's the plan for this one Joe? Make a bookend for your GS700?
                        Yep that is it, it was 11 miles from where I live. Part of me really wants to resto-mod this thing

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                          Well it should be an entertaining winter with 2 FZ projects on the go. I've got a couple of things planned including forming a new windscreen so I'll likely chime in too.

These are really nice and powerful "little" bikes and go like a rocket when cranked. Very entertaining.

Generally, they are easy to work on but with a few quirks, like bucket and shim valves (and 20 of them at that) and carbs at a strange angle that preclude getting to the air-mixture screws when they are mounted. They are easier to take off than the GS carbs, mind you, with the perimeter frame and no central backbone.

Being a narrow engine, the bike is slimmer and more comfortable for the legs but the forward lean to the bars can be tiring on the wrist, arms and back if you are not used to those ergos. I am going to have to work my upper body over the winter to be ready for it next season.

My only other gripe is that the fairing mounted mirrors are great for displaying your shoulders and nothing much else. I am still working on extensions and while I have achieved some improvement, they look like hell and still aren't the greatest. Unlike friend GK, I like to see behind me so I'll be working on that over the winter too.

Overall I think you will enjoy it.
                          Agreed on the mirrors, my 700es has the same problem

Comment

Got a luv extra stuff...

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X