Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royal Enfield... Untainted by Technology (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Enfield... Untainted by Technology (?)

I suppose the marketing execs figured this the best sales angle for the "new" RE.

(guess i could say the same for my old GS... )
    '80 GS1000ST
    '92 ZX-11
    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

The GS is tainted plenty compared to the Enfield.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
      I suppose the marketing execs figured this the best sales angle for the "new" RE.

(guess i could say the same for my old GS... )

Those are built in India, something like $5K
      1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
      Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

That add isn't new. That is the old Bullet. New RE's do have fuel injection, and don't have separate engine and transmission. Thirties tech at best, for those old ones.

I can't resist another opportunity to post a photo of my old Royal enfield Interceptor, of 1968. The last year before they had Norton forks, and a wet sump engine. On mine, the dry sump oil tank is part of the motor. The Albion gearbox sucks.

This is 50s tech. These were a lot different than Norton, Triumph, and BSA. The crank was one piece, not cast iron flywheels with steel pins pressed in like the others. It was remarkably smooth for a vertical twin of that era. Also slow. They have a reputation for speed, but they are not fast. I think its the rarity that keeps the sluggishness a secret. Someone my dad knew worked one that had two motors, and was the first unfaired bike to break 200 mph at Bonneville without a fairing.

Last edited by 850 Combat; 11-28-2013, 04:57 PM.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The guy who bought my last 650 said he had a RE Bullet, it broke constantly. Something in the kickstarter, and something in the clutch I think. Over and over again, the same part failed. He bought six or eight of these parts at a time so he wouldn't have too much down time.

I asked if it was the old model from the fifties, he said no, he bought it new a couple years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
            Those are built in India, something like $5K
            With Indian build quality they're not worth $5k. I look after a couple for some guys - at each service the oil strainers are always full of interesting bits of engine. And the auto-decompressor (needed to let the feeble starter spin the low compression engine) fitted on the new ones is someone's idea of a joke.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              And the auto-decompressor (needed to let the feeble starter spin the low compression engine) fitted on the new ones is someone's idea of a joke.
              That may have been one of the parts he was breaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
                I had problems with the "Kick start pawl". Finaly replaced the dawn thing last fall. Opening the box mean you need to reajust the "Neutral finder" again. I expect that it will not engage in the spring and/or that I will have to clean "The" carb again.

Everytime it sits it "Glazes" up. The only way it will start ever again is to clean the carb toroughly.

As far as "New" goes they are exactly the same. The difference is that now they have a bit more plastic.

Daniel
                The new ones have a unit construction engine. They are not the same. I don't know if they are better.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                X