2002 dr650se

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 dr650se

Brought my 2002 DR650SE home from the USA today. It had been living at the Smugglers Inn in Blaine for the last 5 days waiting for the paperwork to clear. Quite excited. 1821miles on the clock. I am going out in the rain to wash it. - probably the Daytona also as it's still covered in November bugs. Pictures to follow.

Wash it?

Go ride int through some mud first.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It was cheap and landed in "other projects" for a reason... Currently not running. Although the export portion is complete but I have to get a letter from Suzuki USA(which is proving to be the biggest hassle so far) -to complete the import and allow me to insure it to get to the dirt..

Comment

..and I want that mud to be my mud not some other weirdo's.

Comment

What's the letter form Suzuki all about ? I haven't heard that from others who've imported, but their bikes were far older.
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
            What's the letter form Suzuki all about ? I haven't heard that from others who've imported, but their bikes were far older.

If the vehicle is less than 15 years old it must be imported through the Registrar of Imported Vehicles. For my bike I needed a "Recall Clearance Letter" saying that all safety related recalls had been performed. It's free from Suzuki* but they've been closed since before Christmas. About 10 minutes ago I spoke to a man named Cecil and he had one emailed to me before I was off the phone. I have since forwarded to RIV, hopefully tomorrow I will be able to put a battery in it and my Daytona plate on it and take it to Canadian Tire for the import inspection. - which on a motorcycle is checking the VIN.

* compliance letters are free from the Japanese 4 and with Triumph USA and Canada are the same corp so it's even the same dealer network - your USA bike will be warrantied at Canadian dealers. I have never imported anything else. The gentleman I was speaking to this morning had to pay Guzzi $120 for the V11 he had on the trailer and in the past had had to pay BMW $500.

Comment

Originally posted by bluewool View Post
              ..and I want that mud to be my mud not some other weirdo's.
              Yeah, because you never know where that other wierdo rode it.

Why doesn't it run?

DR 650s are great bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Yeah, because you never know where that other wierdo rode it.

Why doesn't it run?

DR 650s are great bikes.

Signs point to a battery. We had it running when I was there but didn't investigate it too carefully as I just wanted to get out before he changed his mind. I'll try and charge the existing battery over night and Ill pick up a battery tomorrow and check the charging if the old one is garbage.

Comment

Sounds good, they are really simple engines to work on, way easier than a GS to do most things. I'm sure you'll figure it out easily enough.

Comment

Murray is cheaper than Canadian Tire for batteries and if you phone him first he'll throw it on the charger so its ready when you get there.
                    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                    1983 GS 750

Comment

Go for the AGM, if you are riding it right is will spend some time upside down or submerged.

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                        Murray is cheaper than Canadian Tire for batteries and if you phone him first he'll throw it on the charger so its ready when you get there.
                        Oh I will be going to Murray for the battery(AGM)if I get it together before I have to go to work. Canadian Tire is the authorized inspection agency.

Comment

There's a little bit of confusion with the import inspection and registration. It seems the VIN comes up as "Restricted Use Motorcycle" which is problematic because the registration of RUMs is forbidden in BC as of 2009. Fortunately this bike has a DOT compliance sticker so a couple of photographs emailed and hopefully I'll get a new Vehicle Inspection Form today.

Comment

RIV came through today Hooray its a "Motorcycle" now. So I had all the paperwork ready - as it turns out if you shine a light bright enough at the speedometer you can see the km/h. Modern was closed but Murray let me come by and pick up a couple of batteries(one for Carrie's GS) $85 for the AGM and $45 for the Yuasa. Not complaints. Put them both on trickle and went downtown to meet Carrie for lunch. Such a beautiful day it was nice to be out on the Daytona. Came home put the battery in the DR added the plate from the Daytona(which I think is quasi-legal as the DR is a new to me bike)
                            Well the kid at Canadian tire had his GSXR stolen ... but he made money on it.. He wasn't at all interesting in even coming outside (in the sun) and even looking at the bike. "Hey if you say it's compliant, who am I to question another motorcyclist?" Ha. Luck. BECAUSE THAT FMF PIPE IS NOT COMPLIANT. It makes the Daytona's exhaust sound like a bicycle with a Charlie's Angels Card in the spokes...
                            Off to insurance. Registered in BC in my name. Done.
                            So I had totally forgotten(use to swap the 1150 or the RD for my friends DR or K75 -- uh. in the 90's) how great DR's are in the city- I mean I remembered but it's better than I recalled..

At home in the parkade with new family.

Comment

This is my bike collection rig at The Smuggler's Inn in Blaine. The heritage house is in Blaine. That road sign in front of the Jetta is the 50km sign on 0 Ave in Surrey BC. Apparently he could have sold the bike a dozen times - people drive down 0 to see what's being exported. Often the vehicles are sitting there with "For Sale" signs on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X