Another BMW K100 followed me home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another BMW K100 followed me home

I just won an auction for a 85 K100. I already have a K100 but it is in parts and it's got 150,000 miles on the engine. The new bike has only 14,000 miles but it came with a salvage title. So my thought was to pull the salvage frame and put my titled frame on this engine. The new bike has been layed down on the right side and the fairing and fairing lowers are a little messed up. So last night I was was comparing the fairing from my first K100 with the new one and there are some big differences. I was wondering if anyone on here can tell me why they are so different. Does the new to me bike have an aftermarket fairing? The windshield is also very different between the two. Here are some pictures of the new to me bike as she sits last night when I got her home. In the rebiuld the gators will be going away, the bike will definately be getting new tires and I will be using the blue body work I have from my other K100.

It looks great if yo only look at the left side

I finally got home yesterday and had the time to start really working on getting the frame pulled and the transmission off. Since I did not know if it ran or not I made sure it had oil and coolant I hooked the new battery up and push it outside. Wouldn't ya know it but it fired up and ran with barely a blip on the starter. I have been watching videos on how to lube the splines and it has come apart quite easily. I got the rear rim removed and it looks like those splines are in great condition.

The trany has a bunch of corrosion from the battery, I will be wire brushing it up when I get if off the bike. On these bikes the trany is separate and the input and output splines need to be lubed.

The rear drive splines look to be in great shape and well lubed.

Comment

BMW has taken some very interesting directions in bike design. Rode a 750 triple from that era. Nice sized bike and besides being slowish was a fun bike.

Thanks for posting your garage adventures.

Comment

I am really looking forward to giving it a try. I hear the triples are nice, the 750 was a triple and they are said to have the best balanced engine of all the bricks BMW they made. The K100 has a little more vibration.

Comment

Originally posted by bomber737 View Post
          I am really looking forward to giving it a try. I hear the triples are nice, the 750 was a triple and they are said to have the best balanced engine of all the bricks BMW they made. The K100 has a little more vibration.
          Even better, I'd say the K75 has the smoothest engine on any motorcycle I have ever ridden. There simply is no vibration, ever. Kind of heavy, not super powerful, but otherwise a phenominal bike.

The K100 was similar to a big Jap 4, pretty damned smooth but not perfect, and some vibrated more than others.

The difference is the four cylinder had close enough balance that they didn't bother with a balance shaft, the 750 triple did not, so they used the extra balance shaft. They got it right.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Looks like a stock LT fairing to me. Was/is you other K bike an RS? I think the K100's only had RS (Sport) or LT (Tour) fairings.

The K's are great bikes, but it seems hard not to just keep buying them. I only need one but sometimes some real bargains show up.

The K100RS I rode had too much vibration in the left foot peg. It would have made me crazy. My K1100RS has only a slight vibration in the left foot peg and I hardly ever notice it now.

They are a joy to work on. Quite logical and over built.

Did the '85s have ABS?

Comment

Yes the one i just got is an RT and the one I have that's in pieces is an RS. Both of them are 85's and neither has ABS. The black/orange one came with a salvage title and the other one I have has a clean title so I will be swapping frames. My RS has 160,000 miles on it and the RT only has 14,000 so I will probably build both bikes and sell one.
              I have been buisy on the RT pulling the trany off and finding all the maint stuff I needed to be done. There is a rubber boot on the clutch actuator that had ruptured and made a mess of the back side of the trany.

I did get it all cleaned up and I just got done painting the rear end stuff. I think it looks pretty good. This is before painting, I had just got done brushing the oxidation off the parts.

The back side of the trany even cleaned up quite well.

I have also found that a o-ring seal on the clutch was leaking so I have a new rear main seal and new o-ring to install.

These bikes use a dry single friction plate type of clutch. It's simple but there are a lot of seals and the thing has to remain balanced that's why I put marks on it before I took it off.

So now the bike looks like this.

My RS looks like this

If anyone ever gets one of these to restore be prepared to spend some cash. BMW really likes their rubber parts and aren't afraid to charge through the a$$ for them.

Comment

The RS fairing is one of the best fairings I have ever used. Great airflow, no buffeting, you can adjust the little deflector wing on the fly to get it just how you want it.

The RT fairing, not so much, it's about like a Windjammer.

Comment

Ha yes it is. I have already traded the windshield off the RT fairing for a spare RS fairing and some other parts. I also got a parabellum windshield mount with it. I will probably sell that as well. I got more stuff done today. I finished painting and got the rims cleaned adn mounted the rear tire. Not exactly sure how I am going to balance it yet. My tire balancer has 2 long cones. Might have to run to harborfreight and look at theirs.

These things were a huge mess before I started.

Now I am just waiting for my new front tire so show up. Rear end stuff looks good though, now I will have to clean up the engine so it wont look out of place.

And you are right, these bikes are certainly overbuilt. Even a bonehead like me would have a hard time braking these parts and best thing is not a JIS screw in critical areas to be seen.

Comment

Dyna Beads work great. Unless you don't believe in science.

Comment

Ha your funny and I might have to go with those. I have never used them before but they are easy enough to use. How many do you put in? There was about 4oz of weight I pulled off the rims before cleaning.

Comment

I figure out how out of balance it is by just temporarily taping lead weights on the wheels, balancing it on the axle and some jack stands, then add about twice that many beads. If you have no way to spin the wheel that will be harder. Maybe just ride it with none, see how bad the balance is, and take a guess? If you look on the DynaBead website they do recommend some amount of beads. Like maybe two or four ounces or something.

Comment

To balance, put the axle through the wheel and put axle on the jackstands as Tom said. With no weights on it, spin the wheel slowly. It will stop with the heaviest part down. Tape a weight opposite that point, or, better yet, tape 2 weights 1/3 the way up each side. Repeat. Eventually, it will stop at a random point and you are done.

Comment

The problem is, on this bike there's no axle, no bearings in the wheel. It bolts on like a car wheel, the bearings are in the final drive.

Comment

I C. This is the HF unit: http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...and-98488.html

Comment

Working...
                              X