TS 185 6v Electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TS 185 6v Electrical

So I found a steal on a 71 TS 185 with a few problems to patch up. One of them being no headlight.

As I read more into the bike it turns out that the headlamp and instrument lights fun off their own magneto coil. Although they're 6v bulbs (headlight is 25w/25w I think) this system has them running on AC that can go wild based on the rpms of the bike since it isn't regulated.

So, any of these bulbs can go from this and as soon one goes the load is increased on the others and they go even faster... Add to this that an OEM replacement light is $150 and similar 3rd party bulbs are not too far off I just want to change the system.

Would anyone know if running a 4-pole R/R like this with some regular old 6v bulbs work: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HONDA-CUB-50-...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

The bike uses the battery as the voltage regulator. You can burn out all of the lights if you don't have a battery.
    Later model years probably had a voltage regulator.
    Adding a voltage regulator would be a good idea, especially considering how expensive a stock headlight would be.

Do you have a wiring diagram?

You should post your questions on the Suzuki 2 stroke forum.
    http://www.suzuki2strokes.com

Comment

Burning out headlights at high RPM is fun. My old Yamaha 360 used to do that once in a while. Especially fun at night. Especially on a curvy road. Especially when you feel the tires go onto gravel but you can't tell which side of the road it's on.

Yeah a voltage regulator of some sort would be good.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Burning out headlights at high RPM is fun. My old Yamaha 360 used to do that once in a while. Especially fun at night. Especially on a curvy road. Especially when you feel the tires go onto gravel but you can't tell which side of the road it's on.

Yeah a voltage regulator of some sort would be good.
        We call it driving by "Moonlight and memory" when that happens.
        A bugger when your flat out, wind behind and downhill with a fast bend at the bottom.

I don't think any 6v systems had a regulator just the balanced load and battery to attenuate. I had a couple'v those ts185s back in the day and my sp400 built ten years later doesn't have either.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Awesome, thanks all.

Comment

You should have a rectifier somewhere.

Comment

The TS185 has a "mixed" electrical system.

It has a magneto & will run without a battery. The ignition system off position grounds the magneto so that it won't run.

It has an alternator & a half-wave rectifier.
              Some components, like the headlight, run on AC.
              Some components, like the horn & stop light, run on DC.

Comment

Working...
              X