Madura GV1200 on the horizion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Madura GV1200 on the horizion

Looking at a Suzuki Madura GV1200 as a project bike. The guys asking $650 for the bike with all the parts needed to get it back on the road. Really just needs a carb rebuild and the front master cylinder replaced. He has the rebuild kits for the carbs and a complete front brake system that goes with it. He also has the rear seat and all new ignition components and many other parts that go with the bike. Very unusual bike to have. I doubt that I would ever see another one on the road.

What do you guys think?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Least collectable and valuable of the 80's muscle bikes, the VMAX, V65's and Eliminators ALL have bigger followings, it basically finished "last" in the muscle bike wars. There's an inherent engine design flaw that caused an AWFUL vibration in the 3-4K RPM range, I test rode one once and I hated it, very buzzy and not very awe inspiring. The issue with the vibration was the fact that Honda already had the patent on the 90 degree V-4, so Suzuki they had to make theirs work at 86 degrees, which threw the engine out of balance, I believe they tried to make up for it with rubber motor mounts but it really didn't help that much. I hated the spoked wheels too, although there's a relatively easy GS wheel swap from I believe a GS1100L model??? Regardless, parts are impossible to find and they don't bring much, even in restored condition, 2-2500 TOPS! I've passed up projects in the 500 dollar range. If you just want something different, why not, but you won't ever make a profit on that one.
    Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
    87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
    99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
    15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

One of the prettiest and most powerful Suzukis ever made
      A simply gorgeous bike for 650 you cannot go wrong.

I doubt any GS owner on here has driven a more torquey or more powerful engine.

Every once in a while you see em for sale on Quebec Kijiji but not often.
      To me they are the epitome of Japanese 80s design. Simply lovely.
      There is a Dutch forum for these. Assuming both sides of the exhaust are pristine then the bike has payed for itself as a parts bike should you pull the pin on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
        Least collectable and valuable of the 80's muscle bikes, the VMAX, V65's and Eliminators ALL have bigger followings, it basically finished "last" in the muscle bike wars. There's an inherent engine design flaw that caused an AWFUL vibration in the 3-4K RPM range, I test rode one once and I hated it, very buzzy and not very awe inspiring. The issue with the vibration was the fact that Honda already had the patent on the 90 degree V-4, so Suzuki they had to make theirs work at 86 degrees, which threw the engine out of balance, I believe they tried to make up for it with rubber motor mounts but it really didn't help that much. I hated the spoked wheels too, although there's a relatively easy GS wheel swap from I believe a GS1100L model??? Regardless, parts are impossible to find and they don't bring much, even in restored condition, 2-2500 TOPS! I've passed up projects in the 500 dollar range. If you just want something different, why not, but you won't ever make a profit on that one.
        Patent on a 90 degree V4 sources please.

Comment

BIGGEST MORPHODITE SUZUKI EVER BUILT!!!!

Suzuki dealerships couldn't give them away.

The designer of the GV700/1200 was forced to commit hari kari.

The only thing they are good for are boat anchors!!!
          Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2014, 11:26 PM. Reason: added more stuff

Comment

Bollocks hater these bikes are gorgeous. They could not sell due to a downturn in the economy and the GD HD tarifs and for no other reasons.

Or do you not recall those days?

Comment

No offense but that thing is fugly. Ugh. I can think of a lot of nice, useful GS's one can pick up for even a paltry $650. I did a quick search on ebay for new carb boots and got exactly zero hits. Did find a single offering for a set of used ones FWIW...
              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

I love how polarized this discussion has become. It's a love/hate affair isn't it? Kind of like a Suzuki GS "L" haters debate.

Personally I like a bike that no one else has. Sets you apart from the crowed. The only weak link I can find on that model is the foot pegs break and the master cylinder view port breaks. Can't say that for Honda and Yamaha's of the same era. Yamaha couldn't get 2nd gear to last and Honda couldn't keep the top end lubed. Kawasaki couldn't make a bike worth a dam, period.

I might just pick it up to spite that haters.
                Last edited by JTGS850GL; 01-24-2014, 12:19 AM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I think they are fugly to but that's beside the point.I'd be concerned about getting parts.If the 83 750 Honda Interceptor is anything to go by getting the carbs off will be a PITA.If you want to be different fine,just think about the cost of that.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                    Patent on a 90 degree V4 sources please.
                    I've read about it on several forums over the years, here's some good information about the Manura:

Current stable:

Comment

I have heard they were fast in a straight line, but man is that bike ugly. Far worse than a regular L model, which I can't stand. Did they ever put that engine in a standard UJM?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

As far as I know, that's the only Suzuki that utilized that V4 motor. Unless they used it in a big touring bike, like the Calvacade? It was not a good seller, only made in 85/86 and they pulled it after they lost the muscle bike war.
                        Last edited by 83GS1100E_Tornado; 01-24-2014, 11:55 AM.
                        Current stable:

Comment

I think they are ugly, but I didn't realize they had any problems.

1979 GS1000

Comment

I read somehwere they sold less than 6000 units. Different is cool and I'm all for being different. But, you gotta be able to find parts or different just ends up being a dust pile.
                            1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                            2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Parts may be harder to find, but the only systemic issues with that model were the foot pegs and brake master view port breaking. The engine and trans were typical Suzuki. Bullet proof!

I'll wait on it and see if he'll drop it to under $500. At that price it might be worth just parting it. There may be a very small community of buyers just waiting for parts to become available. Personally I like the extreme cruiser look of the Madura:

The statement "So ugly it's cute" comes to mind. And it is after all still a Suzuki.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                              X