Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1962 Triumph Twenty One/3TA

Previous project to GS.

Bought as a pile of rusty parts after it was dismantled after catching fire!

2013_0103triumph21b40002 by nitram2010, on Flickr

2013_0103triumph21b40001 by nitram2010, on Flickr

And after

2013_0103triumph21b40005 by nitram2010, on Flickr

2013_0812alfold0032 by nitram2010, on Flickr

2013_0812alfold0016 by nitram2010, on Flickr

2013_0812alfold0005 by nitram2010, on Flickr

Great work! I have NEVER seen such a Triumph model.

Comment

Styling appears to be based on the Triumph Bluebird model. Excellent restoration, thanks for sharing.
      1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
      Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Outstanding resto, Martin.
        A 350cc twin.
        Only seen one other "Bathtub" Triumph and it was not near as nice as yours.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

A Triumph "Bathtub" A stunning rebuild job and a credit to you.
          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

That's great. In the USA, all the sheet metal generally was discarded in the machine's early life. (Same as the fiberglass boat tails on some early seventies Superglides and Sportsters) Cool to see one with it all there.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Wow .........

Comment

+ 1!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The 'bath tub' as it was nick named, was an attempt to compete with the rising popularity of the scooter market, which had better weather protection.

Also note the large 'pigeon catcher' front mudguard.

As mentioned, it wasnt very popular and many riders junked the exta metal work.

I did not previously like style, but was offered bike by work colleague.

The bathtub and nacelle headlamp increases restoration costs and I was tempted to omit, but you cant change history and it was a product of its time. Its starting to grow on me :-)

I like to think I have saved it from being broken for spares and barring any major incident should now survive.

Comment

You have done a fantastic job at saving a piece of history. Well done!

Comment

Nicely done - a complete bathtub model is rare in NZ, like the US the metalwork quickly got lost...

I did a tiger 90 a couple of years back. slightly different,pretty similar though. i sold it part finished as i was getting frustrated with parts availability. Swingarm pivot pins backordered for 2 years.....I'd had enough in the end. New owner finished it off about 2 months ago.

The one i found was in poor condition too, not as bad as yours though...I was told it had beach racing history - see the Burt Munro movie, it came from Invercargill - when i stripped it, it looked like it had been left on the beach and dug up later....sand inside the frame tubes.
                      Last edited by GregT; 01-27-2014, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks for putting that up here. I've never seen one like that before, yours is a fantastic job of restoring a piece of history. Ray
                        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Hard to add anything that hasn't already been said, but that's a beauty of a restoration. A lot of people would've just thrown it away thinking it was beyond repair. Nicely done!
                          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Nice!! Good on you for saving a rare Bird!

Comment

Thanks for all the positive comments.

It would have made more economic sense to break for spares, but quite satisfying to bring back to life :-)

I am sure there are some more expensive hobbies!

Comment

Working...
                              X