Condensing the Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condensing the Forum

I've been a member here for over 12 years. I realize some members are new to motorcycles perhaps and to the Suzuki GS series, and some have more experience with both. It seems that the Forum is getting very bloated and that the topics are redundant. Just about any issue has been encountered by someone before and could be researched if the Search function wasn't quite so literal.

At any rate, how about a series of how-tos on the recurring issues with these motorcycles, such as

1) Carbs
    2) Electrical systems
    3) Engine rebuilds and modifications
    4) Suspension improvements
    5) Painting and Polishing

Basscliff has provided resources for most of these issues. It would be helpful if more viewers could be directed there.

An upgrade to the site itself would be a vast improvement as well, and could potentially address some of the issues and concerns....

but it is what it is......

Comment

Take a look at the Suzuki 2 stroke forum for some ideas.
      http://www.suzuki2strokes.com/forum/index.php

They make some good use of stickies.
      For electrical: wiring diagrams, electrical parts source & common issues are allways at the top of the list.
      They have a services category for useful vendors.

Good place to start would be the how-to category with stickies for the carb tutorial & relay mod.

Comment

For years, every new member has received BassCliff's Mega-Welcome with links to the information that you request. A sticky to the Mega-Welcome is the first message in the GW Owners section.

When a topic is directly covered by stuch tutorials, old members direct new members where to look. Still, many new members ignore the obvious.

This forum works fine for people who take the time to read the clear instructions on how to use it.
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

This forum has worked great for me for many years now. I like it the way it is. I suspect that at least 95% of the other members feel the same way.

Take some time to explore, and get used to one of the best forums on the internet, regardless of subject matter.

Comment

Everybody is directed to Cliff's site - it's just a question of whether they read it or not.
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

^^+1

Yep, I'm guilty of not reviewing BassCliff's website sometimes. It's interesting that this annoys the heck out of people. For me, it's just a reminder and not taken personal when someone suggests it.

It's part of life...how we deal with it builds character (at least for me).

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I agree with the Gatekeeper...some minor tweaks to the site could be a good thing. In particular, upgrading the search function to be able to run true Boolean searches might prove extremely helpful.

On the whole, like our bkes, the site is functional but not flashy. That's fine by me.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

it needs an update for sure....

any one click on the Calendar, it's stuck on December 2013......

ohh well

Comment

Yes the seach function sucks. Most of the questions people ask have been asked 100s of times before but the search just goes into stack overflow. The result is that the questions need to be answered time and time again.

I am afraid that those brilliant guys that do the answering will eventually get fed up with it and stop doing it. That would be a shame.

All we need is to be upgraded to the latest version of vBulletin.

Then I would also be able to access the forum on my phone when I am working out in my garage. At the moment the mobile (cell) phone access is poor.
                    Richard
                    sigpic
                    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                      All we need is to be upgraded to the latest version of vBulletin.
                      I am on a couple other forums that have newer versions of vBulletin (don't know if they are "the latest"), and don't really care for the way they work. Might be the version, might be the way the admin has it laid out, might be ... . My flip phone has trouble accessing any website, and I don't have a data plan anyway, so a lack of that feature is not noticeable in my case.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

One of the things I like about the way the GSR is that each thread is a distinct entity.

On one forum I frequent less often (ADVRider) the threads get merged into mega-entities. The search function is better there as far as how you go about searching, but the results are often less functional, because you end up wading through more muddy posts before finding the relevant information.

I can't use the GSR efficiently on my Android-driven tablet either, but I can't access my house wireless from the garage, so it is a moot point.
                        '83 GS650G
                        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I access the web and this web site all the time using my cell phone and never have a problem doing so.
                          sigpic
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Shhh, it's a secret

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                            Yes the seach function sucks. Most of the questions people ask have been asked 100s of times before but the search just goes into stack overflow. The result is that the questions need to be answered time and time again.

I am afraid that those brilliant guys that do the answering will eventually get fed up with it and stop doing it. That would be a shame....
                            I sometimes wonder if keeping the search function hamstrung the way it is some type of unspoken philosophy. If you get pizzed about somebody berating you because you expect to use the search function like every other website on the planet, we don't want your lazy azz around here. If you don't know that you can't search more than 3 words, you deserve what you get moron. If you haven't found the special hate threads about how to search for titles then we don't need yer kind 'round here.

Comment

vBulletin Mobile

This is what I get now on my mobile (iPhone):

Then because you can't read it you expand it to this:

which is again useless as you then have to keep scrolling sideways.

This is what proper mobile v Bulletin looks like:

Any chance?
                              Richard
                              sigpic
                              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
                              X