Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 FZ1 Retrofit COMMENCE! (be scared Jethro... Be very scared)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 FZ1 Retrofit COMMENCE! (be scared Jethro... Be very scared)

So I have it!

Yes a coveted 2005 Yamaha FZ1 Black motor. Last year of the gen 1 but it has the best stator, superseded valve seals (whats wrong with mine)and other beefier parts that my 01 motor doesn't have. I got this beauty for only $1000 and it only has 5k miles! There isn't a blemish on it! Valve adjustment isn't due for another 20K... Ha!

Next step?
    Well obviously get it to my garage and start to take out the smoking silver lump in my Fizzy and ready her for the black heart transplant. I have ported intake boots and Ivans jet kit with ignition advancer coming in as well... This combo give's the first generation liter Fazer 147whp @11,000 RPM and 81 WF/tlbs of Torque @7,100 RPM...

What does this mean?
    Well since I've lost 20lbs since VT rally and this combo will yeild one Bad A$$ FZ1... Jethro can start crapping himself cause he has little to no chance on keeping up with me this year ... LOL J/K

I'll Keep you kids in the loop as I progress!

-J
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Well I have the new motor in my garage and I'll be starting the silver removal at some point tonight or tomorrow. Very excited to see the new motor next to the bike!

SO I'm awaiting a few more parts and the jet kit to get this baby all set to scream this year!

Official list of the Retrofit:
    1. 2005 FZ1 black engine swap
    2. Ported Intake ports, Air box modification and K&N filter element
    3. Ivan's Jet and needles kit
    4. +4' Ignition Advancer
    5. New performance rotors with Pads
    6. New tires
    7. New Chain and Sprockets
    8. Maroon Vynal wrap
    9. New Swing Arm Bearings
    10. New tapered roller Head bearings.
    11. Tether kill switch (so she's ready to Drag...)

Goal is to have the bike ready by April 1st. So 1 month, should be no big deal!

I'll keep track of the build in this thread.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Very nice looking black engine. Is the other side that nice as well?

Comment

Interesting, verrrrrrrrrry interesting! looking forward to hearing how this turns out.

Comment

The FZ1's removable right side down tube makes lowering it out using one of those ATV lifts very easy. I replaced mine in Jan 14. Took me three slow methodical days. If I were doing it again it would probably take 10 hours or less. Leaving the carbs on while taking it out will save some time.

I was looking at $400 for a second valve adjustment on my 140K original engine. Found a low low mile replacement engine for $450. So I have a set of pristine case covers, starter motor, and new clutch as spares from the original.

Just picked up a S1000rr shock for my spare Gen 1. The bike I replaced the engine on (right one in pic) has a Penske.

If Jethro has a remapped Gen II he's probably not too worried unless he gained the 20lbs Jed lost.

Comment

I had an '03 Black and Yellow FZ1. Full Holeshot pipe, Ivan's jet kit, ported boots, etc. It made 138 hp on the dyno here in Phoenix. Fast do anything bike. Rode it for eight years.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Isle, Motor is mint! I see a slight blemish on the other side on the stator cover (paint chip) but not scarped or laid over (like on the silver lump in my bike on it's clutch cover). But I paid good money for it was in such good cosmetic shape, newest I could get and low miles. Isle you were the one to put the seed of a swap in my head

My Fizzy as it sits only has the Yoshi Slip on and it's the fastest motorcycle I've ever ridden... and would put my old B-12 to shame. I'm very excited to actually have this bike tuned out and watch it rocket.

So At this moment in the AM I did some more research and I plan on doing the RavenRiders Carb, aribox and intake port setup.
              Infor can be found here on it.: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89724

I've ordered pads still looking out for decent rotors...

I got one of these guys coming in:

And some of these little guys, 127.5 mains with the amount of power this motor makes just dumbfounds me:

And these guys too

Running a 15/47 hooligan setup (stock is 16/45). I'm sure this will make my Fizzy a bit more wheelie happy

Next weekend I plan on knocking a big chunk of it out.

Going to be fun!!!
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

My spare Gen 1 (one on left in pic) has the RavenRider mod and the 4 degree advance by previous owner. It's a little quicker revving than the non modded one. It's has about 6500 miles on it.

One thing I did was to put all the loose bolts back into the frame or what ever they came out of, saved me from marking stuff or having to take pics. Takes a little longer but eliminates guess work.

Over the 13 years that I've owned Gen 1s, I've probably done every tasked involved with engine removal multiple times, (except for actually unbolting and lowering it). There are only a hand full of electrical connections and they are all different so tough to mix up.

Do you have the manual?

Suggest you dump the Air Induction System. Holeshot is the easy way, cost about $50. Ivan's is harder and more prone to headaches. I just bought the stainless dome head hex bolts and did it myself using Pat's site for a guide. Cost about $5 but I had the tap already. Much easier to do with engine out of bike.

Comment

I've been reading up online about pulling the engine. I'm really not worried about it I've done multiple swaps in both cars and bikes and enjoy doing it. If I can swap in an 1100 engine into a GS750 in about 2 hours I'm sure a direct FZ1 motor to motor swap will be cake. Plus these Fizzy lumps are so light in comparison to an air cooled GS. I took the my engine out of the back of my car by myself. I was shocked how easy it was.

Last swap I did was in September and that was throwing a Subaru 2.5RS Quad cam motor into a old 93 FWD Subaru Impreza. 8 hours it took and I had to make a custom wiring harness and vacuum system to get the EJ18 ECU to run the EJ25D without the check engine light going on. Runs like a raped ape to this day with no codes.

Yeah I'm not fretting or freaking out on this swap. I'm sure I'll easily reverse engineer if I get lost. So much less wire work to do with carburetor induction.

Air induction system? Is that the exhaust recirculation system with the metal tubes off the exhaust ports? What's the perk of removing it? Or are you implying I just remove the whole air box and run Pods... lol I've heard you don't get any real gains from doing that.

Thanks
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Pat's site has details. Makes changing plugs easier. That's about the only reason to do it.

Comment

Ahh... I've changed the plugs once for I noticed a misfire at 35k miles, maybe the oil consumption had to due to the fouling? Or it just needed to be done, like my other bieks.... But I wasn't bothered by doing it and only took 30 minutes with proper jointed ratchet extensions... I'll likely just leave it on.

Thanks for the link though.
                      Last edited by Jedz123; 03-05-2015, 11:22 AM.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

So I didn't get a chance to start over this weekend for I was in Middlebury with my girlfriend and family but I did manage to tear into it some! So I'm going to have to fold and buy a Haynes manual for this guy for I need that paper book in my hands while I tear into this thing. I really don't want to damage anything. But I started removing parts I was 100% confident on.

This is where she sits.

I managed to remove the rear wheel all the pegs and frame covers, Tank, exhaust, side covers, front sprocket. Tonight I'll finish with removing the rear swing arm for cleaning and painting. I also plan on doing a detail clean on every component so that's she all clean for another 20K miles of service this spring.

The parts that have arrived;

I'm still waiting on rotors, chain and sprockets, But in the mean while I be removing the cooling system AND CLEANING! She's dirty dirty under the body bits.

Oh I will also need to order a new battery the one in it has expired... I did however start her up yesterday after 3 months of sitting... Fired right up and idled just fine after a 5 minute warm up! She did smoke pretty bad and throw some oil upon awaking from her long slumber. Can't wait to get that silver lump OUT!

More updates to come!
                        Last edited by Jedz123; 03-12-2014, 04:16 PM.
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

dude you have an old peavey amp! wazzup with that? loud tunes while ya work?

my gixxerpunk kid is talkin about coming to the vermont rally with me this year. i think you guys would enjoy riding with him. i exaggerate his unruliness. a little.
                          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                          82 gs1100L probably the next project
                          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Yup old Peavy tube amp. She cranks well. It's a 3 way Synthesizer AMP for I play Keys and was in a band for a bit, great sound and great to listen to tunes to.

Bring the kid, the more the merrier I say.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

So what progress have you made? Spring is here.

I've had three short rides on my new, low miles replacement engine. On the second ride I looked down and thought I could see what looked like tobacco chew coming out of the weep hole on the left side of the cylinder. It wasn't constant or flowing just looked like Clint Eastwood walked by and spit on it like it was Jossie Wale's dog.

So I did my research on the FZ1 site and it is possible but rare to develop an oil leak from improper mating of the cylinder head, but I'm 100% certain the head had never been off.

I got a Q tip and cleaned out the weep hole and went for a third ride for a longer distance. Come back and its still clean and dry. I've planed some long rides for this afternoon and tomorrow to be certain

Got to thinking that before mounting the replacement engine and while it was out of the bike I had put oil into the cylinder through the removed spark plug holes and I'm pretty sure some of that oil on the #1 cylinder missed it's mark and ran down into the weep hole catch area causing the tobacco chew goo.

The new replacement engine is very strong. Clutchless first gear wheelies are just too simple now.

Comment

Working...
                              X