'78 Kaw Z1R (not mine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 Kaw Z1R (not mine)

Well, if you've got $11k laying around and just have to have a Z1R to round out your Kawasaki collection, this may be for you.

Columbus, OH CL

http://http://columbus.craigslist.or...350237786.html

Couldn't get it to open.
    That sure is pretty.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

thanks for correcting the link

Comment

Can you say "Not that attractive rip off of a Cooley". In my humble opinion, no disrespect meant to those of you who this is your dream bike.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2014, 09:23 PM.

Comment

No disrespect taken but hard for the ZIR to be a rip-off of a Cooley when it was produced a year earlier.
          Heck if you can afford that bike you could probably afford one of each.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by bomber737 View Post
            Can you say "Not that attractive rip off of a Cooley". In my humble opinion, no disrespect meant to those of you who this is your dream bike.
            But, but... the first S model 1000s came out in '79, a year later than the Z1R.
            Still a fine looking resto. Love the kicker located under the seat.

Edit: what steve m. said.
            '80 GS1000ST
            '92 ZX-11
            Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

I stand corrected. I think its the side covers that make this bike so unattractive.

Don't now why these Kawis are so valuable and our more attractive, GS's can't command the same cash. Once again, just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by bomber737 View Post
                I stand corrected. I think its the side covers that make this bike so unattractive.

Don't now why these Kawis are so valuable and our more attractive, GS's can't command the same cash. Once again, just my opinion
                If you ever seen the original ad for the Z1R it is straight out of Star Wars. Put the two next to each other and 9 out of 10 will say the kawi,s cooler. Sorry s owners. It's only my opinion which don't count for much.
                I love Z1R,s. This is my personal favorite.

Comment

Zoomiest?

When it came out, the Z1R was on the cover of Cycle World (big wheelie) over the words, "Zoomiest Z Yet!"

Yet once I turned the page, I discovered that it's quarter-mile time was NOT as quick as previous Zs. I've taken Cycle World's grand pronouncements with a grain of salt ever since.

Yet (yet again), there's no denying that in their day, the big Kaws were the most desired bikes for those of us who liked to zoom around the streets. When I got my used '73 Z1 in the late '70's, I was sitting on top of the world.

And of course there's the first Mad Max movie. Every bike is a 900 or 1000 Z.
                  Last edited by Rob S.; 02-28-2014, 02:22 PM.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Actually, the 1000s were not faster than the original 900s. In 1978 I went to El Paso and rode with a bunch of 900s and a 1000. The 1000 was modded with pods,pipe and jetted, and was no faster than the 900s.
                    IMHO, one reason the Z1Rs fetch a high price is that they are rare. IMHO, the reason they are rare is that they did not sell. One the reason they did not sell is those ugly as snot angular sidecovers.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      One the reason they did not sell is those ugly as snot angular sidecovers.
                      all the angles! fugly!! but respect to their historical place

Comment

I never much cared for the angular look Kawasaki tried with the Z1R. Maybe third or fourth fastest bike in 1978. The regular KZ1000 of the same year is a much nicer looking bike. Of course, I have always preferred the rounded lines of the Z1 with that ducktail. Though I wouldn't object to owning a Z1R now, there are many other bikes I would spend my money on first.

Comment

I know the owner of the local Kawasaki dealer. In 1986 he offered me a new in the crate Z1R, had it out back, no one wanted it. Seems like it was less than 3k. I passed. I had one before that, that the po had painted Candy Magenta. A word of advice, NEVER paint a bike Candy Magenta.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                            No disrespect taken but hard for the ZIR to be a rip-off of a Cooley when it was produced a year earlier.
                            Heck if you can afford that bike you could probably afford one of each.
                            Affording it is one thing, actually wanting to afford it is something else.
                            I'd rather have the Chevette pictured in the background.
                            But that's just my opinion.
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                            .................________-|___\____
                            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                              I know the owner of the local Kawasaki dealer. In 1986 he offered me a new in the crate Z1R, had it out back, no one wanted it. Seems like it was less than 3k. I passed. I had one before that, that the po had painted Candy Magenta. A word of advice, NEVER paint a bike Candy Magenta.
                              Is that a color?

Comment

Working...
                              X