Anything to look for on a yamaha xv535?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything to look for on a yamaha xv535?

Fix up one suzuki and all of a sudden I'm a bike mechnic. Friend wants me to look at an 87 virago 535 with him today, anyone know anything about em? Carbs are off and it comes with FREE CARB KITS... I feel like I'm getting roped into something. Wants to check it out in a few hours, anyone have some wisdom or experiences to share?

Run and hide...

Comment

They are good little starter bikes but can be plagued by faulty electronics, most notably concerning the TCI box (igniter). Without carbs in place I'm not sure what your friend expects of you since you can't fire it up or even check compression. You could see if it turns over and has spark and you can comment on general appearance and need for tires brake job etc.

If you do not have much bike experience, I would beg off as you might miss something and or give some guidance that causes him to purchase and then you find a major issue. Friendships have been lost for less.

What you could do is go have a look, note down what you see, take lots of pics and post up here for a consultation. we might be able to offer more insight.

Good luck.

Comment

What's the asking price ??? Yeah show us a pic or the ad it was in we can help a bit from there

Comment

Yeah I was going to recommend he see the bike run befor he does anything, just too many unknowns. Thanks for the heads up on electrics the only thing i've found from googling wad that they have starter clutch issues. Heres the ad : http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/4351928985.html
          Looks relatively unmolested, I don't think 850 would be terrible if it is what the owner says it is. But you know how that word of the previous owner game can go.

I'll add that my friend ia german and I think the harley kinda look is appealing to him. He's got a pipe dream of taking that all american road trip on a bike. I feel like highway cruising might be pretty miserable on something that tops out at 90
          Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2014, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Looks in good shape , and maybe can talk owner down a few hundred bucks as we'll , you would think with that many miles on it should be fine , maybe carbs were gummed up because it hasn't been ran or ridden that much!!

Comment

Looks pretty decent but as it doesn't run and you can't prove that it does, its got to be worth a few hundred $ less than asking. if you can hear it run then its likely worth what he wants.

I have bought several bikes, over the years, that were basket cases and or didn't run and (touch wood) I haven't had a dud as all were resurrected. Having said that and bearing in mind the appearance and low mileage I'd hazard that the bike is ok. I still think you should try and turn it over to listen for nasty noises and to check if you have spark and if those are both ok and the owner isn't hinkey and doesn't give off any bad vibes then I'd say go for it.

I do agree that it is a bit underpowered for the slab but on surface roads he'd be fine for the "grand tour".

Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Yeah we checked it out. Not a total junker, but nothing special either. I mean the Tires looked bald and if he couldn't be bothered to do the carbs how good do you think he really took care of it? Seemed honest enough, it did turn over strong and spark but still, I got the impression he didn't put much into it. He didn't want anyless than 800 which was a little generous in my book. I did a search for bikes under $1000 when we got back and found this which I,sent to my friend:

Maybe I'm biased, but I think he can do,better for that price, thats what I said.

Comment

Wrong link

Comment

That 535 is noted for bad starter clutches, probably reverts back to a bad igniter and kicking back on the starter
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                      Looks pretty decent but as it doesn't run and you can't prove that it does, its got to be worth a few hundred $ less than asking.
                      This is my thoughts on a non-runner as well.

Comment

That Zuk looks like a bit more work for not much less I'd say. Perhaps you should keep looking. Only issue you will now face is that with spring coming soon (20 something days they keep saying but I'll believe it when it gets here) prices will be going up and there will be more purchaser competition.

Keep that in mind but also remember that "there will always be something else coming along" so don't let your buddy jump on something if he has time to wait abit for something he might really want.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Yeah I sent him 3 or 4 ads of cheaper bikes that actually run after we checked it out so we'll see. Think it was a 450 nighthawk, ninja 500, and some other yamaha. I think hes intimidated of the heavy bikes, says my 550 is big. the 650 might be more work, but for me at least it'd be easier. I've got spare parts kicking around and I already know my way around em.

Comment

The Ninja 500 is an excellent bike. Of all the ones you listed, it is the one I would chose for someone intimidated by large bikes.

Comment

Well I think he needs to take in to consideration how he plans on using the bike. If its for around town commuting 250 to 500/650 is fine. Doing the grand tour and riding some slab he needs to think bigger. I'd say minimum 750 or 850 for mixed slab and surface streets. For mostly slabbing.....as big as you can afford.

A smaller displacement bike can handle some highway work but it isn't going to be comfortable. The bike will buzz and strain to keep speed and a lighter bike will get blown all over the place by trucks, vans and speeding cages. It will be intimidating especially to a novice which I think you said he was.

If he can decide what he wants out of a bike, you can narrow down the size and type.

You mention everything from Nighthawks to Ninjas and that is something else that needs to be considered. Sportsbike styles and low cruisers look cool and are fun but they are not really comfortable for distance or time in saddle. Depending on his size, health and fitness level he may or may not find them as comfortable as the standard UJM (like the GSs). Case in point myself.

I picked up my Yamaha FZ750 last year after riding GSs for the previous 5 years. It is one of the first true sportbikes, goes like a bat out of hell and puts a smile on my ugly mug. A smile that may last about 2 hours maximum. It is just not comfortable for my old body with clip on bars that make me lean well forward putting pressure on my arms, shoulders and neck. Rearset pegs make me hike my legs in an odd position that gives me cramps in my hips and lower back. It takes all the enjoyment out of it so now I am fabricating raised bars to get me in a more upright and comfortable position.

Again if the bike is used for a short time commuter it maybe a fine enough fit but for more than that perhaps not. Cruisers look more comfortable than sportbikes but the foot forward ergos can put a lot of pressure on the lower back and butt. Forward controls are also not as good for controlling the bike as pegs and pedals under your hips.

Lots of things to think about I know but your buddy will want to get the best bang for his buck so it deserves some thought.

I'm interested in seeing what he ends up with.

Comment

Working...
                              X