Grip Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grip Dilemma

I have a problem and not sure what to do and what is best...

I purchased new grips and throttle tube, same as I did for the GS these are from a 2004 Yamaha R1, I like the grips they are OK on the hands and all, but...

Putting them onto the Yamaha FZ they are too short, depending on how I adjust the brake or clutch master cylinder, and the electronic box's, the turn signal or the off/on on the throttle side.

I can return the R1 and lose 20% for restocking charges and get the right Yamaha parts, now the R1 cost me 30 will get back 24, and the proper Yamaha set is 50 bucks.....

Do I use what I have, or spend the extra bucks and get the right ones...

this is solely based on looks, and nothing else

in the following pics you will how I mocked up an old grip, cut it to length to show the differences of spacing, and how short it is if I don't space anything, the right ones would cover the big gap seen on the last pic and have all things tightly together...

short grips and spread out to appear correct, or long grips and all tight together as it should be

any thoughts ?????

here is a pic of all the parts spaced out evenly

Here everything is close together as it should be, and the showing the shortness the R1 grip leaves but would be covered by the correct grip

I think short grips and spread out the gear. I am however a little on the cheap side.

When you decide what to do I will send you a picture of my 85 Kat bars and see if you can find a place to put mirrors.

The overall bike looks great.

Chris
    1983 750 Katana
    1982 750 Katana (parts use)
    1983 RZ350

Comment

I can be cheap as well...LOL

Thanks for the input...

post up a pic or send it, I can take a look...

Comment

Those dont look like new grips to me. A new set of Pro grips is only about $10 or so depending on where you get them.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
          Those dont look like new grips to me. A new set of Pro grips is only about $10 or so depending on where you get them.
          no those are not new grips, you are correct, I used the old ones, cut them to match the length of the new ones to illustrate how much shorter they are....I could not use the new ones to do this since they are in a sealed baggie and if I open it then I would not have any chance in a return or exchange.

Comment

So I bit the bullet, returned the R1 grips, took a restocking hit on them, but I ordered the correct grips and throttle tube, so all should be just the way Yamaha intended it to be.....LOL

Thanks for the input....

Comment

In retrospect you are probably right. Your hands would have started to be a little far from those small details like a clutch and front brake.

Chris
              1983 750 Katana
              1982 750 Katana (parts use)
              1983 RZ350

Comment

Hardy Har Har......LOL

Comment

Working...
                X