The "apehangers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "apehangers"

As friend Harley calls them. Yesterday I fitted them to the bike to see how they will look and feel and to tack them up prior to welding. They seem fine and I went on to weld them up. The nuts and bolts were used to hold things in place until tacking and after welding were buzzed off flush with the bars.

The bars follow the same angles as the stockers and they seem comfortable enough but, of course, a little strange as I am sitting more upright. I did notice that with the rear set footpegs and controls the hips now seem a tad cramped. I hope it is just my imagination but I won't be able to tell until I get her out for a ride.

The bar on the clutch side will work with the existing clutch hose as it has some extra length in it but I'll need a new brake hose and possibly a throttle cable.

During welding I had difficulty with my welding helmet. It has the auto darkening feature and it was going on an off at weird times making it difficult to see. My welds are pretty ugly so I've been grinding and tidying them up prior to painting. Here they are after tacking and I should mention that as per the suggestions, I took the battery out, removed the igniter and had the ground clamp attached to the bar I was welding.

Lol , actually they look really good and would be more comfortable,again job we'll done ! Very smarts you are!!

Comment

Hey don't forget about me.....I helped putting the bike on the jack stands....LOL

Actually it looks good, and will probably allow Spyug to ride in more comfort, this means longer rides, however that does mean less stops, which of course means less beer......ohhh well you can't win them all....

good job there buddy....

Cheers

Comment

Thanks guys but I'm actually thinking that due to the angle they put the body in relative to the footpegs, they may be too far back.

I am starting to think that the standard bars on risers that we first talked about might be the answer. The grips will be more forward allowing the body to angle forward so less pressure on the hips but will be raised up enough to take the pressure off the arms, neck etc.

Of course I am not going to know until I can ride it so its merely speculation for now. I'll finish them off and get the controls all mounted then see where I am.

Stay tuned.

Comment

After removing bolts could make some mounts to slide in the exposed holes on the up pipes and weld them in.
          Mounts for what I do not know.
          Just what came to mind first.

Comment

Thanks I had been thinking about that too but I don't have any gizmos to mount at the moment.

It would be a great idea for a GPS or Camera mounting point. Maybe I will add an extra short tube for future use.

Cheers.

Comment

Maybe a cup holder.....for those long rides.......

Comment

Working...
              X