Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Yamaha thumper for '15

SR400... (who remembers the old SR500?)

Never tried the SR500, but the XT500 was one of my all time favorites. Judging by thier reasoniing for being kickstart only, I'm betting the performance is right out of the seventies too.
    Last edited by tkent02; 03-12-2014, 01:08 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I liked this one better...

No signature

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Judging by thier reasoniing for being kickstart only, I'm betting the performance is right out of the seventies too.
        Their "reasoning...

"...the SR400 is kickstart-only, which according to Yamaha gives it retro appeal and "draws attention from old school motorcycle fans."
        I hope I never have to kick-start another bike, regardless of how easily it starts...
        Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2014, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I have a few bikes that only have kick starters, and a bunch like my GSes with both. The only times I have ever kick started a GS was when I'm sitting on the gound next to it and it's easier to give the kickstart a flip with my wrist than it is to reach the button. I might even remove the 550s electric start and starter clutch just to get rid of some flywheel. It starts with a couple fingers easiy enough.

The only old school fans that would prefer it are the ones who have never started a bike.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It's nice to see someone coming out with a nice, basic semi-modern UJM.

But kick start only? That's a weird move. Seems to be the number of people who want a kick-start-only bike would be much, much smaller than the number of people who would really not want to bother with a kick-start if they don't have to.

Also, the price... $6000?! If all you want to do is ride a new bike, the CBR500F costs less and is probably twice the bike.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              The only times I have ever kick started a GS was when I'm sitting on the ground next to it and it's easier to give the kickstart a flip with my wrist than it is to reach the button.
              Didn't you start my 750 that way ?

Loved my XT500 and nearly bought a SRX6 before I found my current GS.
              The single cylinder Yamaha's were always reliable and performed really well.
              The new '15 thumper will likely be as bulletproof.

Comment

It is a cool little bike aimed at grabbing new riders on a nostalgia pitch. However, the lack of electric start and price will likely do it in. I can't see lady riders taking to it although I did see one of their ads featuring a petite, young Oriental lady. So they are aiming at lady riders too I guess.

I do hope it sells as it will bring the other players into the game and we might once again see 500s and 650s in a similar vein. Old school is cool!

Comment

Like any other well maintained and tuned motorcycle, they actually start quite easily...BY HAND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-KYAtpziDs on an XT or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQQqmWc67MM on an SR

Comment

Maybe Yamaha took notice of what Ryca is doing with the Suzuki S40.
                    http://www.rycamotors.com

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                      I liked this one better...

Yes, the "one" I've been looking for, for some time.
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

The XT as a retro would probably sell better as a hooligan bike

Comment

A window so the rider can find top dead center? If a rider cant find TDC without a window perhaps they shouldn't own a bike.

Long live the kickstarter! Yamaha’s all-new 2015 SR400 takes us back to 1978. Learn more and view the photos and specs at CycleWorld.com.
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                          .................________-|___\____
                          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Why is it a 400? I think the lack of electric start is a problem for sales, even for a great bike like the SRX-6. The XT/SR 500 had a reputation for not wanting to start when hot. I know this: My dual sports with E start are nice to oppporate. Yamaha DID sell a multi valve e start XT600 from 1990. It COULD have been in the SRX-6, but wasn't. I have always liked SR500s, and they are still cheap. A White Brothers carb and pipe used to really bake them go better. I bought my dad a White Brothers pipe and carb for his GB500 Honda. He only put on the pipe with no discs in the Supertrapp. He only wanted more noise, not more power.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

It's a 400 because they've been selling the 400 worldwide (but not here) since the 70's

400 means lower insurance and licensing fees, like in Japan

They've been at the dealers since May, you can go by and have a look at one. Same bike as in the 80s except with a new head to accept the FI it now has
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X