How's the CB1100 selling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's the CB1100 selling?

It's been awhile since I've posted, but I'm baaack! Has anyone heard of how well, or not, the CB1100 is selling? I was hoping they wouldn't be able to build them fast enough so the other mfg would offer up something similar. I'm not into the Harley and Harley clone scene, and I'm too big boned for a crotch rocket.

Not great, guy here bought one recently for a little over 10 grand out the door. Nice machine but likely won't be a huge seller in the USA.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
      Not great. Nice machine but likely won't be a huge seller in the USA.
      I can understand why. I read Cycle World's review when it was new, and aside from the chrome headers, it's ugly.

Don't think so? Park it next to a 1983 CB1100F.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The price is a non starter for most people since it can't run with rocket bikes for the same money. At 6 grand they would be on every street.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I like them. If I was in the market for a new bike I'd take a closer look.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
            Not great, guy here bought one recently for a little over 10 grand out the door. Nice machine but likely won't be a huge seller in the USA.
            Hey Marvin, tell me WHAT is selling well in the States?? Every dealer here sold out. Full buck and they were almost 3 grand more here.
            I'm not being smart but the US economy ain't exactly on fire when it comes to selling luxury items like motorcycles. So it's not really a fair assessment.
            And RobS..I can't believe you like your old gs1100e so much but don't like the cb1100
            No signature

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
              The price is a non starter for most people since it can't run with rocket bikes for the same money. At 6 grand they would be on every street.
              Bad analogy, Harley's sell everyday for twice that amount and they can't keep up to most 600cc sport bikes.
              No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                Bad analogy, Harley's sell everyday for twice that amount and they can't keep up to most 250cc sport bikes.
                Fixed .

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Fixed .
                  Hahahahaha....
                  No signature

Comment

I was hoping for better news on the homefront, but at least they are doing well in BC. They are starting to trickle on to the used market so maybe in a few years there may be one in my garage. I agree it isn't as aesthetically pleasing as the 83 1100F.

Comment

If you compare an '80-'81 GS1100E to the new Honda, there is not one thing that the GS doesn't do better than the new Honda. Acceleration, braking, handling, fuel economy, rider and passenger comfort, styling, etc.
                      The ONLY two things that the New Honda has over THE 30+ YEAR OLD SUZUKI is fuel injection and the fact that it is NEW and comes with a warranty. I will keep my Suzie's and my money thank you.

Comment

I like the bike, but it's a little too PC for me - a non-reprogrammable speed limiter ?? Pleeze -

Comment

I had been waiting for a long time for this bike to come to the states. As the former owner of several 1100F's, I told myself and others that I would buy one as soon as it was available.

A brief couple minutes sitting on it and looking at it......no thanks. It just didn't fit, feel or look right to me.

I haven't seen one on the road yet. However, I have seen a couple used ones for sale.

Comment

Standard bikes don't sell well in the USA because they aren't competing with other new bikes for the consumer's dollar, they are competing with 30+ year old bikes that run 10-30% as much on the market.

The USA is rather unique in that regard, I believe. The next closest market to the US is Canada, and even then old UJMs in really nice shape aren't nearly as common there as they are here.
                            sigpic

SUZUKI:
                            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                              Standard bikes don't sell well in the USA because they aren't competing with other new bikes for the consumer's dollar, they are competing with 30+ year old bikes that run 10-30% as much on the market.

The USA is rather unique in that regard, I believe. The next closest market to the US is Canada, and even then old UJMs in really nice shape aren't nearly as common there as they are here.
                              True enough. Still, I am surprised that they are selling out in BC. When you consider that one can buy the original, restore it, and most importantly insure it cheaply with a Collector plate for probably less than half the cost of a new one.....
                              Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                              Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                              1983 GS 750

Comment

Working...
                              X