Search failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search failures

Hate for my first post to be a gripe, but I know I'll be told "just search for it" the first time I ask a question!

When I try to search, I get the error "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /home/thegsres/public_html/_forum/search.php on line 1155"

Little help?

-Deek

narrow down the search, add less to your search parameter....

not like this - engine painting black gloss

more like this - painting

the more you ask it too look for the greater the chance of the error...

it's a limitation on the site, and correctable, but has not been done by the owners...

Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2014, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Also limit search to "Titles Only". You will get to the point much faster this way.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you use Google, you can tell Google to limit your search to this site by entering site:gsresources.com and your search term.

From Google Search Tips and Tricks:
        Search within a specific site

Precede your query with site: if you know you want your answer from within a specific site or type of site (.org, .edu). For example: site:edu or site:nytimes.com.
        Using Gatekeeper's example, a Google search within this site would look like...

site:thegsresources.com engine painting black gloss
        1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

Thanks, all. The Google search is the ticket!

-Deek

Comment

Originally posted by fishfarm View Post
            If you use Google, you can tell Google to limit your search to this site by entering site:gsresources.com and your search term.

From Google Search Tips and Tricks:
            Search within a specific site

Precede your query with site: if you know you want your answer from within a specific site or type of site (.org, .edu). For example: site:edu or site:nytimes.com.
            Using Gatekeeper's example, a Google search within this site would look like...

site:thegsresources.com engine painting black gloss

The sir is the best little tip I have come across on this site. Congratulations.

Another tip I find for searching on the Forums is to do it "out of hours". I can do complicated searches here in the UK when all you guys are asleep in the US. I guess that is because the processor/server/whatever is not stressed by loads of simultaneous searches. Figure out a time when it is quiet in the US.

Greetings
            Richard
            sigpic
            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Any ideas how to search the forum though?

Your example will search the web site www.thegsresources.com but this shows no results from the forum - only the website itself.

Any ideas? I have tried various combinations of searches to no avail.

Greetings
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                narrow down the search, add more to your search parameter....

not like this - engine painting black gloss

more like this - painting

the more you ask it too look for the greater the chance of the error...

it's a limitation on the site, and correctable, but has not been done by the owners...

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Also limit search to "Titles Only". You will get to the point much faster this way.
                Did you see these? I honestly rarely have any problems searching the site for items. When I was searching for tips on how to install my new horns, I clicked on Search, Advanced Search, set the option to titles only, and put in horn relay; it gave me everything I needed (about 7 or so hits). Trying to search the entire forum will cause that problem more often than you need.
                sigpic
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                X