Hmmm...who do we know with an ELR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm...who do we know with an ELR?

It will be interesting to see how high the bidding goes on this KZ1000 S1 engine.
    A trip to the lotto shop might be in order.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

That's not for an ELR, but it probably would bolt in

The S1 is a very different machine
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yep, i am aware of that, just figured it would look good wrapped in ELR clothes.
      Hopefully it ends up on the track and not in a collection.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

It's up to $7k - which is a lot of money for an engine.

You can take a KZ1000J engine, have the crank done, put in lots of cam/carb/compression/headwork, and you'll end up with a 140hp engine, that needs to be torn down after every race too -

It'd be a different story if it was bolted into one of the original S1's -

Comment

I know a guy with an ELR... me! However, I have no interest in mortgaging my house to buy that engine. I'm sure it is a terrific track engine, but for use on the street, maybe not so much. The idea of push starting the bike because of the race 8 spark plug ignition system is quite unappealing. It will be interesting to see what the engine sells for in the auction. I'll think of what kind of bike I could buy or what kind of engine upgrades I could get done to my bike for that kind of money!

Here is the same type of engine in a KZ1000 S1

IBA# 12860
          Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
          1984 KZ1100R
          2008 Kawasaki KLR650
          2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Holy Crap ! Twelve grand and there's eight days left. Not to mention the reserve hasn't been met. WTF are these things worth ?
            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
            1983 GS 750

Comment

Bet it will take 20 to 25 grand to take that motor home!!!

Believe it or not a KZ1000S1 motor is pretty tractable. You people forget it is a road race motor, not a drag race motor. They have tons of midrange power. You can get a S1 motor to idle at about 1,500 to 1,800RPM.

The cams that came in the S1 motors were only about .400 inch lift. Real close to the Yoshimura Super Bonneville cam specs. Don't know how much more lift and duratioin those Web Cams are that are in that motor. That might make a big difference on how it runs on the bottom end!!!

Comment

I remember the magazine article where they were testing Eddie Lawson's '82 Superbike, before it got chopped up for scrap, and they blew up the engine before they could test the brakes. They said that after one race, and some hot laps, that it was tired and needing a rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                X